Oh, mama, this flavour combination blew me away. My diet is on hold indefinitely. Follow the instructions to make your Pâte Brisée (savory quiche base) and use this recipe for a savory filling.
Onion and Feta Quiche (filling makes enough for 2 x 14″ x 4.25″)
- 2 x Pâte Brisée doughs, docked and pre-baked
- 2 medium sized red onion
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar (45 grams)
- 2 tbsp brown sugar (55 grams)
- 2 tbsp olive oil (35 grams)
- 1 1/2 cup of macedonian feta cheese, crumbled (more or less, depending on personal taste)
Savoury Royale Mix
- 2 cups 18% Cream
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tbsp dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon dried leaf thyme
1. Follow instructions for Pâte Brisée. Fit the dough to 2 x 15″ x 4.25″ quiche pans and pre-bake.
2. Caramelize onions (instructions here) and allow to come to slightly cool. Place in the pie crust and along with crumbled macedonian feta cheese.
3. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F.
4. In a separate bowl, make the "savoury royal". Mix all ingredients for savory royale and whisk until light and fluffy.
5. Place the filled pie shells that are still in their pans onto a cookie sheet. This is done in case we have any pie filling that leaks (we don’t want a messy oven).
6. Divide and pour the savory royale mixture evenly between the two pie shells and put in oven immediately to bake. Bake at 375 degrees for 25-35 minutes or until the filling has set and is golden brown.
7. Serve the quiche with fresh tomato wedges or a tossed salad.
Madalina Paul is the blogger behind Duhlicious, a food blog dedicated to creating and sharing unique and original recipes for great tasting food and featuring tutorials, food news, and culinary adventures.
by Madalina Paul