Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
3 cups (750 mL) icing sugar
3/4 cup (175 mL) unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp (5 mL) instant coffee granules
1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
4 egg whites
2 tsp (10 mL) vanilla extract
1 cup (250 mL) bittersweet chocolate chips
1 cup (250 mL) chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and grease well with cooking spray. Set aside.
2. Whisk the icing sugar with the cocoa powder, coffee and salt. Stir in the egg whites and vanilla until well combined. Stir in the chocolate chips and nuts (if using). Spoon 12 mounds of batter on to each baking sheet.
3. Bake, on the middle rack, for 13 to 15 minutes or until the tops are shiny and crackled. Cool completely on the baking sheets. Gently peel away the parchment paper
- Let stand for 2 (or up to 20) minutes before baking to make a smoother and shinier cookie.
- Bake one tray at a time on middle rack for best results.
- Store extra cookies in between layers of parchment paper in an airtight container.
Amanda Riva is the host of The Hot Plate, a free online cooking show dedicated to inspiring culinary confidence in new cooks. The Hot Plate also offers regular cooking tips and advice, how-tos, and information on seasonal ingredients.
by Amanda Riva