Everything is popping up pumpkin these days, and this recipe is no exception. Let’s be honest; there’s nothing that helps us get over the heartbreak of losing those long summer days like warm, cozy pastries and spiced treats. Summer has been fun, but we’d gladly trade in shorts for long pants if it means getting to enjoy a slice of this Giant Pumpkin Cinnamon Roll — especially if it’s dripping with a sweet cream cheese glaze.
Soft cinnamon roll dough kneaded and spiraled in a large skillet or pie pan, this giant treat is just like the traditional version, but with the addition of seasonal pumpkin and much bigger. Instead of individual buns, serve up this dramatic and playful version like a cake and cut into wedges. Try a slice while it’s still a bit warm, and enjoy as the cream cheese glaze melts between the layers. Yum!
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 25 to 30 minutes
Total: 2 1/2 to 3 hours
Serves: 8 to 10
1/3 cup warm milk (110ºF)
2 1/4 tsp yeast
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg, slightly whisked
2/3 cup pumpkin purée
3 Tbsp melted unsalted butter, cooled
3 Tbsp unsalted butter, very soft
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
Cream Cheese Glaze:
4 Tbsp cream cheese, softened
1 to 1 1/2 cups confectioner’s sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 to 4 tsp cream or milk
1. Warm the milk to 110ºF. Stir in the yeast and set aside for 5 to 10 minutes. The yeast should foam up a bit and bubbles should float to the surface.
2. Meanwhile, sift together the flour, sugar and salt in large mixing bowl or the bowl of an electric mixer.
3. Once the yeast has bubbled up, stir it into the dry ingredients. Add in the egg, pumpkin purée, and butter. Mix with a wooden spoon or the paddle attachment until combined.
4. Using a dough hook and electric mixer or by hand, knead the dough until it is soft and smooth. If sticky, add in 1 tsp of flour at a time until it reaches the right consistency.
5. Oil a large bowl and place the kneaded dough inside. Cover with a clean kitchen towel or piece of plastic wrap and place in warm corner of the kitchen for 1 to 2 hours, or until the dough rises and doubles in size.
6. Once the dough has doubled in size, punch down and knead a few times. Butter a 9-inch skillet or pie pan and set aside.
7. Slightly flour your work surface and roll out the dough to about a 14 by 16-inch rectangle. Use an offset spatula or the back of spoon to spread on the softened butter over the entire top of the dough. Sprinkle the butter with the brown sugar and cinnamon. Pat down the sugar mixture to make sure it is pressed into the butter.
8. Using a paring knife, pastry cutter, or pizza wheel, cut the dough into 2-inch wide strips. Roll-up and coil the first strip around itself and place in the centre of the prepared skillet/pan. Using the other cut strips, wrap around the centre roll. Continue with the remaining strips, until done. Loosely cover with a piece of plastic wrap and allow to rise for 30 minutes. As the dough puffs and bakes, the strips may move around slightly.
9. Meanwhile, pre-heat the oven to 350ºF. Once the dough has raised again, place in the oven and bake until golden, 25 to 30 minutes. Allow to cool slightly on a wire rack.
10. For the glaze, stir the cream cheese with a rubber spatula or spoon until smooth and soft. Add in confectioner’s sugar, vanilla and cream. Mix until combined and desired consistency is achieved. Spread over the pumpkin roll while it is still slightly warm. Cut into slices and serve warm.
Looking for more delicious fall treats? Try one of these 33 Perfect Pumpkin Spice Recipes