- 3/4 cup (175 mL) granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) water
- 1/4 cup (175 mL) 35% whipping cream
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vanilla extract
- 3/4 tsp (4 mL) salt
- 2 cups (500 mL) salted butter
- 3 cups (750 mL) icing sugar
- Gourmet salt, such as fleur de sel
- Serves: Enough to cover 18 cupcakes or a 2 layer cake
- 1. Mound the granulated sugar in the center of a medium, heavy saucepan set over medium heat. Add the water; cover and bring to a boil (do not stir). Uncover and cook, swirling the pan often, until sugar turns a deep amber colour. Remove from the heat. Immediately, wearing oven mitts, slowly whisk in the whipping cream until smooth; stir in the vanilla and salt. Cool to room temperature.
- 2. Beat the butter until fluffy; beat in all but 2 tbsp (30 mL) prepared caramel. On low speed, gradually add icing sugar; increase the speed and beat until frosting is smooth and fluffy. Frost baked goods and drizzle with reserved caramel. Sprinkle very lightly with gourmet salt.
Amanda Riva is the host of The Hot Plate, a free online cooking show dedicated to inspiring culinary confidence in new cooks. The Hot Plate also offers regular cooking tips and advice, how-tos, and information on seasonal ingredients.