Carrot cake is one of my all-time favourite cakes. But when you don’t have time to make a whole cake and you’re craving something sweet, whip up these cute carrot cake cookies. This way you can have a much smaller portion but just as much delicious carrot cake flavour.
If you’re feeling extra ambitious, whip up some cream cheese frosting, and layer between two carrot cake cookies for a more decadent treat. Cookies can even be scooped into balls and frozen so you can pop them out of the freezer and into the oven when you’re craving something sweet!
Carrot Cake Cookies
1 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 large eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup grated carrots
1/2 cup raisins (optional)
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and brown sugar. Mix in the vanilla. Beat in the eggs one at a time, until fully combined.
- In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the wet and mix until fully combined. Mix in the grated carrots and raisins.
- Scoop 2 Tablespoon-sized balls of dough onto prepared baking sheet, leaving 1 inch between each cookie. Bake for 12-14 minutes.
Try Anna Olson’s recipe for cream cheese frosting here.
Miranda Keyes is a freelance food stylist, recipe developer and writer who used to live in London, UK but moved back to Canada for nanaimo bars, maple syrup and poutine. To learn more about her, follow her on Instagram @littlemirandapiggy and Twitter @mirandaak.