There’s no doubt that May is a glorious month. To most of us, it means our favourite blooms are finally in season, it’s the kick-off to our summer wedding line-up, and our evenings and weekends start to fill up with al fresco cocktail dates. The problem? Peonies, wedding gifts, and pitchers of sangria, tend to be seriously detrimental to our bank accounts.
Lucky for us, our cooking doesn’t have to suffer from the month’s costly demands. May is officially known as BBQ Month, and we have an easy, delicious and budget-friendly recipe for grilled veggies, to serve with your fabulous dinner.
With only five vegetables needed, and three simple pantry items, this will become your go-to recipe for the entire warm-weather season!
1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 2-inch pieces
1 zucchini, sliced into 3/4-inch rounds, then in quarters
1 red onion, cut into 3/4-inch rounds
1 yellow squash, cut diagonally into 1/2-inch slices
1 bunch (1-pound) asparagus, trimmed
2 Tbs olive oil
Coarse sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Set grill on high and lightly oil grates. Insert skewers through red bell pepper pieces, zucchini slices, and horizontally through onion slices.
- Place prepared skewers, squash slices and asparagus on baking sheet. Drizzle with oil, and season with salt and pepper.
- Remove from baking sheet and arrange on grill. Cook, turning occasionally until lightly brown and tender, 8-12 minutes for skewers, 4-8 minutes for asparagus and squash.
- Remove skewers and serve.
- How to Build the Perfect Veggie Picnic Sandwich
- Healthy Sweets to Satisfy Your Sugar Craving
- Vegetable Spotlight: Eggplant