After a week of voting, the results are in! The dish you want to make this month is Michael Smith's Chicken Pot Pie Recipe, and we can't blame you! Nothing says classic comfort food like this hearty dish. Send us your photo and blurb before the month's end for a chance to
win a cookbook package.
How the Cooking Club Challenge works:
•Make the chosen recipe
•Follow the recipe, or add your creative flair
•Email us (email@example.com) a picture and a short descriptive paragraph before month's end (Saturday, November 30th) for your chance to win a some great prizes!
For the chicken & meat broth:
2 large chickens, cut into parts
Sprinkled sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
6 bay leaves
For the garnish vegetables:
2 fennel bulbs, tops removed and cut into 1” pieces
1 large bag baby carrots
8 onions, dice
2 heads of garlic, peeled and sliced thinly
For the pot pie base:
2 sticks butter (16 tablespoons, 8 ounces or 1 cup)
2 cups flour
Reserved chicken broth
1 cup half and half cream
1 cup sherry
Salt and pepper
2 cups frozen peas
1 batch Pesto and Chive Biscuit Topping
Reserved chicken and vegetables
For the chicken and meat broth:
1. Put the chicken parts into a large stockpot and add just enough water to almost completely cover them.
2. Add the salt, pepper and bay leaves. Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook until you can easily separate the chicken meat from the bones, about 30 minutes or so.
3. Remove the chicken from broth and when it's cool enough to handle, pull the meat from the bones. Discard the bones and skin. Reserve the broth and some of the fat that floats to the top.
For the garnish vegetables
1. Place the empty chicken pot back over heat and add a ladle full of the chicken fat on top of the broth. Add the vegetables and sauté them until they softened. Remove the vegetables from the pot and reserve.
For the pot pie base:
1. Put chicken pot back on burner and add the butter. When it has melted, stir in the flour and continue cooking for a few minutes.
2. Add the reserved chicken broth, one ladle-full at a time stirring constantly. Continue to whisk until it is very thick. Add the cream and sherry and season with salt and pepper. Stir in the frozen peas, reserved chicken and reserved vegetables.
3. Preheat your oven to 400°.
4. For individual servings ladle the mixture into approximately 24 eight-ounce aluminum pie plates and place on baking sheets. Roll the biscuit dough to 1/2 inch thickness and cut out 24-3” rounds. Place a round on each pie. Bake for 30 minutes, until the biscuit tops are golden brown and the chicken is bubbling.
5. You may also ladle the chicken stew into one or two large baking pans, cover with biscuit dough and bake and serve in bulk.