The votes are in! This month's Cooking Club Challenge is Top Chef Canada-themed and we asked you to vote for a recipe by a chef from the show (current season and previous). The winning recipe, and the dish that you'll get to recreate this month, is Green Chili Cheese Burgers courtesy of Andrea Nicholson from Season 1. You can check out our Top Chef Canada blog for lots of fun recaps, recipes, and challenges, and as always, you can watch Top Chef Canada episodes online.
How the Cooking Club Challenge works:
•Make the chosen recipe
•Follow the recipe, or add your creative flair
•Email us (email@example.com) a picture and a short descriptive paragraph before month's end (Tuesday, April 30th) for your chance to win a cookbook and a $250 gift card to The Hudson's Bay Company!
- 4 medium anaheim peppers
- 1 half-inch thick slice of a large onion, skewered through the middle horizontally
- 1 1/2 pounds chuck, at least 20 percent fat
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons roasted garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 4 tablespoons bread crumbs
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 slices Pepper Jack or Havarti cheese
- 4 hamburger buns
- 12 slices bacon, cooked
- Place the chili's and onion on the grill and cook until charred on all sides, about 4 minutes per side. Place the peppers in a ziploc bag and seal, set the onion to the side. When chiles are cool enough to handle, about 5-10 minutes, remove from the back, peel of the charred skin, and seed. Coarsely chop the chiles and onion together and set aside.
- Mix the ground beef with the chili powder, garlic, mustard, Worcestershire, eggs, bread crumbs, cumin, salt, and pepper. Form into 4 1/3-lb patties and use your thumb to make a dimple in the middle of each one. Place the patties on the grill and cook until desired doneness. About 2 minuted before the burgers are done, top each with a slice of pepper jack cheese and allow to melt.
- Quickly grill hamburger buns, cut side down, until nicely browned, about 30 seconds. To serve, place the burger on the bun and top with the chili and onion mixture.