There's no denying it anymore; it's officially back to school time. That, my friends, means the end of lazy summer days.
So with busy schedules a reality, it helps to be as efficient as possible when feeding the kids, while still serving healthy foods they'll actually eat. We have great tips and recipes from David Rocco, Scott Conant, Trish Magwood and more in our Back to School guide. (We were very pleased to find out David Rocco dreads packing school lunches as much as we do!)
So when we thought of the ultimate kid-friendly food, grilled cheese sandwiches obviously topped the list. Show us a child (or grownup) who doesn't love the taste of hot, gooey cheese melting between two pieces of toast. (Seriously, tweet us at @FoodNetworkCA and let us know why your little one isn't a fan!). Without further ado here are our top 5 (according to our site stats) grilled cheese recipes from the past year.
1. Grilled Cheese with Caramelized Onions by Chuck Hughes tops our list. Even if your munchkins aren't so cool with onions, the sweetness that these caramelized ones add to the classic sandwich will have them asking for seconds.
2. Michael Smith's Grilled Cheese Bites scream kid-friendly. They're basically begging kids to eat them. Shocking twist: these are regular grilled cheese sandwiches cut into small triangles. Alert the press.
3. Next on the list is Christine Cushing's Ultimate Grilled Cheese Sandwich. We're daydreaming about this delicious sandwich as we type. Your kids will go bananas over the added ingredient (feel free to substitute pancetta with any sort of bacon, salami or ham).
4. Michael Smith's up again, this time with this lip-smacking Grilled Ham and Cheese Sandwich. The classic combo is already a kid favourite, so what could go wrong by grilling it? Nothing, that's what. Your little ones will eat it up. Literally.
5. Rounding out our top 5 is this Aged Cheddar Grilled Cheese with Caramelized Onion Relish by the late, great Anthony Sedlak. Sometimes you have to spoil the kiddies and give them something a bit out of the ordinary. Indulge - you'll taste the difference.
by Souzan Michael