Toasted Coconut Ice Cream with Banana Fritters
Courtesy of Chef Jan Hrabec of Crazyweed Kitchen.
2 ½ cups shredded coconut, toasted to a dark brown colour
1 vanilla bean
1 L milk
1 L cream
20 egg yolks
1 ½ cups sugarFritters
1 cup self-rising flour
1 cup Club Soda
2 pinch salt
2 tsp vegetable oil
1. Toast coconut to a dark brown colour. Add toasted coconut, milk, cream and vanilla bean to pot and bring up to scalding temperature.
2. Beat egg yolks with sugar in mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Temper in the infused milk/cream mixture.
3. Cook over bain marie until mixture forms a custard-like consistency and coats the back of a spoon.
4. Strain and cool completely.
5. Add the chilled custard to ice cream machine. Make sure the bottom of the bowl is dry so you don't allow any water into the machine with the custard.
6. Freeze. Place an insert into the freezer while chilling so you have a nice ice cold insert to put the ice-cream in after the machine has stopped.
7. Cover and store in freezer.Fritters
1. Add soda, salt and oil to mixing bowl. Whisk in the flour, adjusting consistency with flour or soda depending. Mixture should be not too thick or too thin.
2. Set aside for 10 minutes.
3. Once ready to use, cut up some banana and place in batter; each banana should be cut into 5 pieces.
4. Fry battered banana pieces until golden and crispy.