Quench your thirst this summer with a tart and sweet punch that will be a hit at any barbecue, party or get together.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
10 cups (2.5 L) water
1 cup (250 ml) granulated sugar
2 1/2 cups (625 ml) fresh-squeezed lemon juice
10 cups (2.5 L) chopped watermelon
2 lemons, thinly sliced
1. Combine water and sugar in a saucepan, and bring to a boil. Simmer until sugar is dissolved. Cool to room temperature then stir in the lemon juice.
2. Cut the watermelon in half and reserve one portion. Peel and chop the remaining half. Place the chopped watermelon in a blender and puree until smooth. Strain the watermelon through a cheesecloth-lined sieve.
3. Stir watermelon juice into lemonade. Refrigerate for at least 6 hours or until chilled.
4. Serve in a large pitcher, beverage dispenser or punch bowl. Garnish with small watermelon wedges, lemon slices and mint sprigs.
– Make this a cocktail by adding a splash of tequila, gin, vodka or sparkling wine.
– If you like a sweeter lemonade, increase sugar from 1 cup (250 ml) to 1 1/2 cups (375 ml).
Amanda Riva is the host of The Hot Plate, a free online cooking show dedicated to inspiring culinary confidence in new cooks. The Hot Plate also offers regular cooking tips and advice, how-tos, and information on seasonal ingredients. Amanda Riva is part of the Blog Network family.