You won’t know (or even care) that this warm spinach and artichoke dip is vegan and actually quite healthy, thanks to some extra fibre and protein from creamy butter beans. Pair it with some pita and have it as a meal on those lazy nights or put it out as a comforting starter for your dinner guests.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Makes: 6-8 servings
¾ cup finely chopped white onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tbsp + 2 tsp olive oil
8 cups fresh baby spinach
½ cup raw cashews (soaked for 2 hours or overnight)
1 cup almond milk
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
2 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp sea salt
¼ tsp white pepper
¼ tsp dried basil
1/8 teaspoon chili flakes
2 Tbsp tapioca starch
2 Tbsp water
1 x 395 ml can butter beans (lima beans)
1 cup marinated artichokes, drained
1. Pre-heat oven to 400°F.
2. In a pan over medium heat, sauté onion in 2 tsp of olive oil for 2-3 minutes, until slightly soft and fragrant. Lower heat to medium-low, add minced garlic and spinach, and continue cooking for another 1-2 minutes, until spinach is wilted and soft, but still bright green.
3. Drain and rinse cashews from soaking water and add to food processor. Process until they become a fine meal and nearly smooth.
4. Mix tapioca starch with water to dissolve it. Add this to the food processor along with ½ a cup of almond milk, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, sea salt, onion powder, white pepper, dried basil and chili flakes. Process until smooth.
5. Add in butter beans and artichokes, and run the machine while you gradually add the remaining ½ cup of almond milk. Process until smooth.
6. Pour this mixture into your baking dish and fold in the spinach, onion and garlic mixture.
7. Drizzle 1 Tbsp olive oil over top and bake for 20 minutes. It should be bubbling, and slightly puffed and golden brown on top.
8. Serve with bread, crackers or vegetables for dipping.