This easy, no-churn vegan ice cream is going to become your new go-to treat this summer. It’s creamy, minty, refreshing and totally dairy-free. No need to feel guilty after eating a whole pint either; it’s sweetened only with dates and packed with nutrient-rich avocados, cashews and coconut. Top your bowl with a healthy drizzle of melted chocolate and you’ve got the perfect no-bake dessert.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 4 hours, 15 minutes
2 ripe avocados, peeled and pitted
1 14 oz can full fat coconut milk
1 cup cashews
1 Tbsp coconut oil
1/4 cup cacao nibs
3/4 cup fresh mint leaves
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 Tbsp liquid chlorophyll (for colour, optional)
Chocolate Sauce Topping:
1/3 cup dark chocolate chips
1 tsp coconut oil
1. Place the can of coconut milk in the freezer for 2 hours or in the fridge overnight.
2. Soak the cashews for 2 hours and soak the dates in warm water for 15 minutes.
3. Once the coconut milk has chilled, open the can and remove the hard coconut cream from the top and pop it into your blender. Reserve the liquid, you can use it to make smoothies.
4. Drain the cashews and dates and add them to the blender with all ingredients except the cacao nibs. If your blender comes with a plunger use it to push the ingredients towards the blade while it’s blending. Or continue to stop, scrape down the sides and mix. This will take about 3-5 minutes.
5. Pour the ice cream into a parchment-lined loaf pan, using a silicon spatula to ensure you get it all out of the blender.
6. Mix in the cacao nibs until they’re well incorporated.
7. Cover the loaf pan with plastic wrap and freeze for 4 hours or until you’re ready to eat.
8. Make homemade chocolate sauce by melting chocolate chips in a double boiler, then spoon in coconut oil until silky; drizzle it directly on top of ice cream.
Photos by Sarah Grossman.