We only have one diet tip and it’s easy. Ready? Here it is: eat all the colours of the rainbow the majority of the time. Just look at the spectrum of colour in this healthy rainbow quinoa taco salad. It’s full of flavour and we especially like the little zing from the creamy sunflower dressing. You might not find a pot of gold at the bottom of your bowl, but you’ll feel good eating this nutritious and filling salad.
Rainbow Quinoa Taco Salad
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 15 mins
Ingredients for Salad:
½ cup rainbow quinoa
1 cup water
¼ cup teaspoon sea salt
8 cups chopped romaine lettuce
1 small can black beans (approx. 1 cup), drained and rinsed
1 cup frozen corn, thawed
2 avocados, diced
¼ cup finely chopped red onion
½ cup diced tomato
¼ cup cilantro leaves, finely chopped
2 teaspoons lime juice
corn chips, for serving (optional)
½ cup raw sunflower seeds (soaked for 3 hours)
½ cup water
1 lime, juiced (approx. 2 ½ tbsp.)
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon hot sauce
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
¼ teaspoon sea salt
¼ teaspoon ground pepper
1. In a small pot combine quinoa, water, and sea salt. Bring to a boil, then cover with a lid and reduce heat to simmer. Cook for approximately 15 minutes or until all the water is absorbed.
2. Meanwhile combine diced tomato, red onion, cilantro and lime juice to make a fresh salsa.
3. Drain and rinse the soaked sunflower seeds and then add to a high-powered blender with remaining dressing ingredients. Combine until smooth.
4. Just before serving dress the chopped romaine lettuce in a large mixing bowl with 4 tablespoons of dressing and then divide portions into serving bowls.
5. Top each serving with quinoa, black beans, corn, diced avocado, fresh tomato salsa, and another drizzle of dressing.
6. Serve with corn chips on the side if desired.