There are some fruits that get a lot more play than others in our kitchen every week. We don’t mean to be picking favourites, we just figure they’re the best option for whatever we’re cooking or baking. But once in a while, we get re-introduced to a fruit that gives a fresh spin on our go-to recipes. And right now, it’s all about the cherry.
Not only do cherries help you sleep better, ease post-workout soreness and reduce the risk of heart disease, but they also have the ability to take many foods to delectable new heights.
To show you just how versatile this fruit is, we’re sharing three of our favourite recipes featuring cherries that you must try now – in the prime of their season.
From satisfying your sweet tooth to a healthy, tasty salad, we have a feeling cherries are about to become your new go-to fruit.
1. Attending a dinner party? Volunteer to bring the dessert, because this easy recipe for Hazelnut Torte with Okanagan Sour Cherry Preserve is bound to be a crowd-pleaser.
2. Whether you’re looking for a new cake to bake for your kid’s birthday party, or just in need of a mid-week pick-me-up, this Cherry Jubilee Cake will definitely do the trick.
3. Incorporating this power fruit into your daily meals is easy with this healthy Dried Cherry Salad recipe.
Here’s what you need:
– 3 cups Spring mix
– ½ pear, sliced
– ¼ cup walnuts, chopped
– ¼ cup dried cherries
– 3 tbsp. blue cheese
– 3 tbsp. oil
– 2 tbsp. vinegar
Combine all ingredients in a bowl, and you have a delicious salad for workday lunches, or a great dinner side dish.
Renée Reardin is a lifestyle writer and stylist living in Toronto. To learn more about her, visit www.reneereardin.com, and follow her on Twitter @reneereardin.
- 5-Ingredient Side Dishes
- Summer BBQ: All About Rubs and Marinades
- BBQ Restaurant Spotlight: Dusty’s of Whistler Blackcomb