Thursday, April 24,
11:00AM et/8:00AM pt
Hosted By: Michael Smith

Chef at Home

RSS Feed Print Category View
Discuss Chef at Home
Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, May 6, 2010 2:11 PM

This thread contains comments to "Discuss Chef at Home" from embedding this forum at /ontv/shows/Chef-at-Home/show_forum.html.

Leo Savil
Posted: Friday, May 28, 2010 11:26 PM

Dear Chef at Home

I love your show (In fact, I love all your shows). I've learned a lot and got a lot of inspiration. Since I'm the full-time cook at home that helped tremendously over the years and still does, always with new things to learn.   When I'm in the kitchen I always have "Chef at Home" on my mind.

I have a request: stop the extreme close-ups. This happens at other, lower class shows but does not have to happen here.  I'm sure this is coming from the "producers/video techs/etc". We don't need to see the bubbles or the grains of pepper. We want to see what you do and all of what happens in the pot/skillet/bowl/plate/cutting board as if we were in the kitchen with you, looking over your shoulder and learning from the master, not sticking our noses in the pot.

Close close-ups are only justified when minute details are being referred to, like describing the chemistry in bread dough.

Thank you for consistently great shows.

Leo Savil  

nicole48t
Posted: Thursday, July 1, 2010 12:56 AM

I love your cooking show.  In a recent episode aired on Wednesday June 30th 2010, it shows a motorcycle blender.  Could I please get more information on that blender, such as model number, maker, and where to find or purchase something like that.  Thanks.  nic48t@rogers.com

Frankster
Posted: Thursday, July 1, 2010 2:59 PM

nicole48t wrote:
a motorcycle blender

The Blenderblaster featured on Chef Michael show caught my interest too, Nicole. What a great idea for the cabin. I'm surprised Nadia G. didn't come out with it first on her show. The Blenderblaster would fit in perfectly with the rest of her props.

Here is a link for it:

http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://www.blenderblaster.com/blenderblaster/images/blender2_large.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.blenderblaster.com/blenderblaster/specifications.asp&h=432&w=324&sz=36&tbnid=4oDW3OYaR6KU5M:&tbnh=126&tbnw=95&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dmotorcycle%2Bblender&usg=__XZB8TRmxjwj6VlHYq7AWRRF2oGc=&sa=X&ei=ZuMsTOqoFYiDngfRk5G1Aw&ved=0CC0Q9QEwBA

Check out the accessories for it, Hilarious!!!

Christine H
Posted: Tuesday, August 3, 2010 8:19 AM

Love you and love your cooking but find it so difficult to watch the show because of the constant camera movement and close up action.  Please think about changing the camera format.

Larousse
Posted: Friday, August 13, 2010 3:50 PM

Hi Michael,

Wonderful shows.... all of them!  I saw you do a pie "for the boys", card party or something, that had bacon,potato and cheddar cheese.  Can not find it on the web site for the life of me.  

JoeMilli99
Posted: Friday, August 13, 2010 3:59 PM

Chef Michael Smith is my biggest inspiration when it comes to cooking, I love his shows, his excitement and passion is great to watch. I really love that his wife and child join him at the end and that they never edit Gabe. If he doesnt like it you hear him say I dont like that. The show is true to cooking at home and gives you the courage to try something new at your family table.

Thanks Michael, my family much appreciates the dshes I put on the table every night.

JoeMilli

http://joemilli.wordpress.com/  this is the link to my blog where I'm trying to get people to come and participate in creating the worlds gretest dish.

JoeMilli99
Posted: Friday, August 13, 2010 4:02 PM

Sorry everyone, guess I pressed post twice by accident, i went back to edit and couldnt delete one of them..any ideas??

AvaDJ
Posted: Friday, August 13, 2010 10:13 PM

@ Larousse.....I'm not Michael Smith, but I think I know which recipe you are referring to.  I have his cookbook and have been meaning to try this potato dish as well, it looks so good.  There are 2 versions on the site here for his Potato Bacon Cheddar Tart.  Check them out, to see if this is what you're looking for.

/recipes/Side/Cheese/recipe.html?dishID=6426

/recipes/Main/Cheese/recipe.html?dishID=6869

Enjoy!

Ava

ED in BC
Posted: Friday, August 20, 2010 4:05 PM

I would like to know what brand the cookware that Michael uses on the stove top that goes to the oven.  It looks like Le Creuset but it appears a little different.  Green lidded casserole dish.  

ThisTable
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2010 2:13 PM

I had the great fortune of interviewing Chef Michael Smith about cooking for kids on my radio show. Every time I watch Chef at Home I learn at least a couple new things that I can use in my own family kitchen. He's an excellent teacher in that way and a great promoter of using local ingredients when possible. A thread of Michael's work runs through my own kitchen creations at least once a day and, as a parent, I'm always inspired by his willingness to offer new flavours to his family.

GuyinBC
Posted: Monday, September 13, 2010 10:16 PM

On a recent episode ( Fettucini Alfredo ), you added a secret spice to your coffee that you say you always add.  Can't remember the name of the spice.  Please let me know.

AvaDJ
Posted: Tuesday, September 14, 2010 10:42 AM

@GuyinBC, the spice that Michael Smith adds to his coffee is Cardamom.  The episode you were referring to is on the site here, and in the last section of the video he talks about his coffee.  You can check  out the video here:

/search/results.html?q=fettucini%20alfredo

BTW, I made his Fettucini Alfredo the other night as well, it was a huge hit.  So good!

JoeMilli99
Posted: Tuesday, September 14, 2010 11:23 AM

I have tried Cardamom in my coffee, after watching an episode of Chef Abroad, and it is very good. It adds an incredible aroma to your morning brew, and a very intrigueing aroma at a dinner party.

Joemilli

http://joemilli.wordpress.com/

GuyinBC
Posted: Tuesday, September 14, 2010 5:18 PM

Thank You so much for the info on Cardamom.  I will try this ASAP.

Guy in Victoria

davehomuth
Posted: Monday, September 20, 2010 5:45 PM

In a recent episode like 2 or 3 weeks ago Michael had a grocery list template that looked like it would really simplify shopping.  Anyone know where I could get it or Michael could you post it somewhere?

dasy
Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 1:16 PM

Hey guys, I"m in Toronto and just like the rest of you, I really enjoy Michael's cooking. I agree totally with the comments about the upclose shots. It's good at times, but annoying most of the time.

That said,  I was wondering if there's anyone else here from Toronto and would like to create a similar show?  Even if you're not from Toronto, but from other Canadian area and would like to try it out, let me know.

I think we can use this inspiration and get something going to express ourselves. Getting a spot on the Food N/W might not be a possibility for any of us, but we can certainly create our own just for the hell of it. And hey, you never know where it might end up!

Please let me know your thoughts.

Felix

Valerie Outmezguine
Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 2:20 PM

@ davehomuth I missed that episode. Do you know what his list looked like? There's a bunch of printable versions online. I also know that you can buy a magnetic grocery pad for your fridge at Chapters (I couldn't find it online).

wayner100
Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 5:26 PM

I saw the episode and the list he had would work well only in the store he shops at. His point was to make a list based on your favorite store's layout and use it to avoid either impulse buying or missing something key to the meal you're shopping for. A few minutes on your Word Program will produce the same thing.

BTW I went looking on his websites to see if there was a pro forma list (there wasn't) but I did find out you can rent the cottage where they tape the Chef at Home series for a week, SIT DOWN NOW, @ $3,500 Canadian. Wouldn't that be a kick. It doesn't say if the fridge & pantry are stocked but Put Me in Coach !!!

AvaDJ
Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 10:55 PM

Wayne thanks for that bit of trivia.  I always thought that he filmed in his actual home.  I would so love to rent that house for a week...sigh (daydreaming time now lol)...but you're bang on, the pantry would definitely have to be stocked.

teampat1
Posted: Wednesday, September 29, 2010 3:09 PM

Hi so I am hoping that someone can help me with this. I noticed that Michael is really great at creating recipes. I have a recipe that I am trying to create for a friend that has celiacs disease. I am having a problem with the batter sticking to the waffle iron...btw I am making waffles(lol)

here is my recipe...if anyone has any thoughts...I would really appreciate it

2 1/4 cups finely ground Quinoa

1 tbs baking powder

3 tbs sugar

1 tsp cinnamon

whisked together

2 eggs

1 3/4 cups milk

1/2 cup vegetable oil

2 tsp vanilla

blend together with dry ingredients

pour into waffle iron...not sure how to stop them from sticking though.

My two year old loves the taste! But they are all ripped apart by the time I get them out of the iron

Tricia

Richard Black
Posted: Wednesday, September 29, 2010 4:18 PM

Are you using a non stick waffle iron ? If so , spray a litle veg oil on the iron. or adjust the heat if possible, to slow cook time.

Dick

Richard Black
Posted: Wednesday, September 29, 2010 4:18 PM

Are you using a non stick waffle iron ? If so , spray a litle veg oil on the iron. or adjust the heat if possible, to slow cook time.

Dick

dasy
Posted: Thursday, September 30, 2010 12:22 PM

Use a tea spoon of Grated Nutmeg to enhance the flavour.

use a brush and brush on some olive oil on the waffle maker iron or

u can use non stick spray first on the iron.

Should help with the sticking!

Good luck

teampat1
Posted: Friday, October 1, 2010 5:11 PM

Thanks  I am using a non stick. I use a little bit of vegetable shortening with a brush...but it still seems to stick I will try using a spray instead! Unfortunately, I can't adjust the heat I really appreciate the idea's thought

teampat1
Posted: Friday, October 1, 2010 5:16 PM

though! Sorry, that is what happens when you have a two year old "helping" you to type.  I also love the idea of using nutmeg.

Danu
Posted: Wednesday, February 9, 2011 12:19 PM

I like this recipe..

Valerie Outmezguine
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2011 4:23 PM

Hey there, here's Michael's Jerk Chicken recipe.

Valerie Outmezguine
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 4:47 PM

Wow Nicole, that's amazing. I hope you'll continue to make Michael's recipes, they are super good!

nrasula
Posted: Friday, May 6, 2011 10:53 AM

Filming an episode. What generally is the timeline? Concept, approval, setup, filming, then airing?

Also, how many times a year are episodes aired?

rmckeeman
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2011 10:35 AM

I usually have the food network on t.v playing in the background of my day.  I listen for inspiration for suppers and other meals all the time.  There are only a few shows that I take the time to sit down and watch and this is one.  I make bread by hand for my family every week.  The recipe I have has been passed down to me from my husbands Grandema.  My question is this:    My bread always turns out so soft that we have issues cutting it.  Do you have any idea why?  If so, what can I do to fix this?  I know people want soft bread but this is just a little too soft.  Help?

xjanellex
Posted: Thursday, May 19, 2011 12:33 AM

@rmckeeman - I make homemade bread and I've got a killer recipe, so I can probably help you out.  But let's not clog up this thread...  If you make a new thread and post the link I'll add comments there!

And yes, I agree that Michael Smith is awesome!  Go Chef Giant!  I make things inspired by his shows every day.

noront
Posted: Sunday, June 19, 2011 9:33 PM

Please add me to the list of people who love your show but hate the camera work.  The other day i was watching the show where the was brown butter brown rice being prepared and I missed what the liquid was and the camera was so close I couldn't make out what was being poured. I changed channel.  

wayner100
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2011 10:21 AM

Patience Grasshopper LOL, most of Michael's recipes are in the index featured on this site. In this case I imagine it was the rice to accompany his jerk chicken and the liquid was either water of chicken stock. I would post the link but the forum threards don't allow me to do that and that's reason to change channels if I ever had one.

To search for recipes, simply go to the top of the page and click on the advanced recipe search and enter what you have perceived to be the recipe title and select a chef (host) and hit the search button at the bottom of that page. Sometimes the recipe you are seeking will be incorporated in with a main dish recipe so it will take some detective work but (as long as FN has publication rights) you should be successful or you'll find your answer in another recipe that your search will bring out.

Most shows have annoying habits in their presentation, Laura Calder quite often doesn't reference oven temps or cooking times for example. There are so many details which go into a recipe that it's impossible to show them all or the one's a particular viewer is interested in.

Anyway stick with us noront, we are really ok !!!

Wayner100

Valerie Outmezguine
Posted: Thursday, June 23, 2011 5:15 PM

@jc5008 I'm not sure which recipe you're referring to. Here's a bunch of his that include mango.

@Rajavijayan the recipe Wayne is referring to is Jerk Chicken with Brown Rice.

@nrasula filming takes some time though I don't know the specifics. Sometimes it takes between 6-12 months. And often shows have 12 or 13 episodes per season. Are you thinking of creating one?!

Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, July 23, 2011 5:18 PM

Hello,

I´m not pretty sure if this is the place to ask for, but I´m really interested on a specific chapter of a TV show from Chef Michael Smith. ("Chef at large", Season 2 chapter 10) it name was "Unilever Test Kitchen". I need it for educational purposes.

Where can I get it. It is possible?

Any way, thanks for your suggestions.

Federandres.

tgt40
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2011 9:13 PM

I like the show a lot, as previously said, he's true to the home cook (me) and definitely inspires me to start with a basic premise and then add more of what I like and less of what I don't.  His tips on what go well together with something else are always welcome too.

Also as said, the hand held camera shots are sometimes distracting.

Thanks FNC and well done Michael - yours is one of the shows I"ll make time to watch and my favourite recipe?  Penne with black olive sauce (but I use more garlic and add green olives as well and.....grin)

berndorf
Posted: Thursday, September 1, 2011 3:45 PM

Dear Chef at Home, 

Love the shows and watch every night. I have learned a LOT and Michael Smith is an awesome teacher. Thanks very much,

Cheers

jjjr
Posted: Friday, September 2, 2011 1:14 AM

I was introduced to Chef Michael as a teenager, many moons ago on the show Chef at the Inn.  Back then he had a ponytail and the show was on CBC, I think. 

One of the first episodes I saw featured the same potato bacon tart and I remember thinking that it was one of the most amazing things I'd ever seen.  It stuck in my head ever since then (over a decade) and I was glad to see him make it again on his current show.

I love all the food he makes, the way he plans an entire meal and the focus on building flavors instead of following recipes.

That said, I feel I have to be little criticial of his personality.  I find the way he talks and explains things to be a little patronizing sometimes.  It's as if he thinks anyone who isn't a professionally trained chef is incapable of understanding food the way he does and sometimes he explains things like he's talking to an idiot who doesn't get the basic concept of flavor. 

Overall though, it's still one the better shows imo.

A few side things I felt like mentioning:

I also live in Halifax and used to live 2 blocks away from the Superstore that he always goes to on the show. Would have been cool to run into him.  Also my mom thinks he hot.

cwwilliams
Posted: Friday, September 2, 2011 11:24 AM

I have heard the patronizing comment about him from other people. I guess I just look past it. It I find it less annoying than things other chefs do.

I like the idea of building flavours and cooking without a recipe. Although, I find I reach for the same herbs and spices. So, I seek out recipes to show me how to use some of the other spices.

rtelford
Posted: Tuesday, September 6, 2011 12:46 PM

I would have to agree w/ cwwilliams to an extent; Smith's way of talking could come off as patronizing, perhaps I've watched him for a while now so I'm used to it.  But you have to give it to him that he does provide a good description of ingredients and cooking techniques through his commentaries.

As for Smith's "free-form" cooking style, this style is only really practical if you have some sort of cooking understanding.  If you are a beginner, "free-form" could result in some "interesting" compositions.

However I do agree with the principle.  Too many times cooks fall back on the recipe, i.e. guest says "wow, that's salty", cook says "well, that's what the recipe says to do...".  I think as cooks we should eventually get to the point where we can critically read a recipe and apply judgement as to the accuracy of some ingredients, i.e. how much salt is required.  Or, just apply salt (and other seasonings) to your taste as you're cooking.  I think this is one of the most important steps in cooking as one is growing as a cook.

Val Outmezguine
Posted: Tuesday, September 6, 2011 3:26 PM

[quote user="fedeandres"]

... I´m really interested on a specific chapter of a TV show from Chef Michael Smith. ("Chef at large", Season 2 chapter 10) it name was "Unilever Test Kitchen". I need it for educational purposes.

[/quote]

Hey Federandres,

We don't have much info on that. You might want to contact Michael's staff. Hope that helps.

AvaDJ
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2011 2:32 PM

Has anyone had a chance to check out Michael Smith's new cookbook yet? 

Chef Michael Smith's Kitchen-100 of My Favourite Easy Recipes

If you have, any recipes that are a must try?  I've got the book on hold at the library but it may take a few weeks to get my hands on it.  I also saw it for sale at Costco.  Can't wait to check it out.

wayner100
Posted: Tuesday, September 13, 2011 9:23 AM

Ava,

In the process of ordering Michael's book and Laura Calder's new release from Amazon.

I KNOW, I KNOW, I swore I wasn't going to buy  any more books, but how can you resist!!Both of them have produced top quality books that really expand the knowledge & technique of almost any reader.

AvaDJ
Posted: Tuesday, September 13, 2011 10:20 AM

Yes I know, hard to resist new books.  Thanks for the heads up on Laura's new book as well, I will keep an eye out for it.  That's what I love about borrowing the books from the library, I get to test them out first to see how much use I get from them before committing the $$.

An FYI to Michael Smith fans, if you check his website calendar he will be doing a whole bunch of book signings across Canada.  Just found out he will be in Etobicoke on September 24 for two signings, one at Costco and later at Sherway Gardens, you never know Wayne, he might be visiting  your area as well, so be sure to check.

Oceans Edge
Posted: Tuesday, September 13, 2011 2:48 PM

@Ava, I know for a while he was giving them away free on his website to fans that sent in a 'video tip' - I meant to acquire one with a little segment on vanilla bean pods. Just haven't gotten around to getting the hubby to tape it yet. I'm probably too late for a book, but I think I'll send it anyway - it's a good discussion on vanilla (well as good as can be in under 2 minutes *snicker*)

I might have to actually splash out the cash for this one ...

Eating Well
Eating Well

Healthy eating recipes, tips, videos and more!

Daily Dish

• Apple Butter Cookies

Apple Butter Cookies

• Dijon Baked Chicken with Rice and Broccoli

Dijon Baked Chicken with Rice and Broccoli

• Pan Roasted Chicken Breasts with Speedy Pan Sauce

Pan Roasted Chicken Breasts with Speedy Pan Sauce

• Ravioli with Squash and Mascarpone

Ravioli with Squash and Mascarpone

• Roasted Garlic Vegetable Tart

Roasted Garlic Vegetable Tart

• The Better Butter Chicken