Food Network Canada Online

A word from our sponsors

Sponsored by No Yolks  

Fresh with Anna Olson

RSS Feed Print Category View
Question - about reinventing a recipe: Irish Coffee Pie
Oceans Edge
Posted: Thursday, February 9, 2012 12:40 PM

I was looking today at a recipe for Irish Coffee Pie - basically it's a nice chilled cream pie, flavoured with coffee and irish whiskey

Here's the thing... it called for powdered whip topping mix. Uh uh .. not gonna happen. So I'm thinking to get that same cream texture, of doing something rash like adding gelatin to whipping cream and chilling it after its whipped.

Anyone think this might work? Or got any other bright ideas...

AvaDJ
Posted: Thursday, February 9, 2012 1:31 PM

Hey Oceans, I've seen recipes that involve adding gelatin to whip cream, but will it taste good?  I can totally remember the taste/texture of powedered whipped topping as mom used to use it now and then.  Not the best, I agree.

Here's a few suggestions, if it's a stabilized whipped cream topping you're looking for, this might work and taste pretty good too.

http://www.wilton.com/recipe/Stabilized-Whipped-Cream-Icing-1 

Another thought I had, BUT I have not tried myself personally is adding a touch of meringue powder to the whipping cream.  I use meringue powder to make royal icing and love the glossiness and sweetness it imparts.  You could try a small, experimental batch to see how that goes.

Oceans Edge
Posted: Thursday, February 9, 2012 5:10 PM

hurmmmmmm interesting ... I'll have to try that. If only for icing

I also seem to recall reading about a chemical additive ... the name of which escapes me now of course ... that one adds to whip cream to stabilize it (was in The Cake Bible - she was using the whip cream as a filling in a Yule log)

I might have to try making this pie several different times ... testing - it's such a CHORE!

wayner100
Posted: Thursday, February 9, 2012 5:53 PM

Pick Me Pick Me,

Just Fedex those experimental pies my way !!

If you grab one of those CO 2 Whippet Foamers you can do anything. They are a bit pricey to start but anythings possible with them. Then you will forever free of buying the phony Dairy Case stuff and you have endless possiblities. The only drawback is using up the recipe and maybe a bit of extra cost with the CO 2 cartridges.

Oceans Edge
Posted: Thursday, February 9, 2012 7:03 PM

yep - love love love my whippet C02 thingy (you shoulda seen the look on the clerk at Home Hardware's face as I gleefully hugged it to myself and danced to the cash with it - I'd been looking for one for over a year, and when I found the C02 cartridges there I took a chance and asked if they had the THING that these THINGS go in *grins*

the problem is less how to WHIP the cream, but how to keep the whipped cream from falling, going all mushy, as the body of the pie...

I shall experiment....

Oceans Edge
Posted: Thursday, February 9, 2012 8:59 PM

my hubby reminds me ... it's not C02 - that would make the whip cream bitter - it's nitreous ...

anyway - gelatin was a fail, it tasted OK, but the texture wasn't what I was after, and the espresso powder made it a bit too bitter.

It wasn't BAD, just not a win. As my hubby put it, if I'd bought it frozen off a grocery store shelf it would rate an 'meh it's OK' - but not good enough for home made.

next attempt will be a coffee and whiskey infused milk, then turned into a custard, cooled and folded into the sweetened whip cream...

or custard bottom and a whiskey whip cream topping....

Rene Powell
Posted: Wednesday, February 29, 2012 7:46 PM

I'm late to the game on this, so you've probably already moved on, but in case you haven't - have you tried adding a teensy bit of cornstarch to your whipping cream to stabilise it?  I make what my kids call 'pancake cakes' (stacks of pancakes with fruit and whipped cream in between) for birthday brunches, and use cornstarch to keep the cream nice.  Just a thought.  Also, Irish coffee pie sounds AMAZING.
Oceans Edge
Posted: Thursday, March 1, 2012 11:19 AM

Nope - I still haven't found the perfect combination for this one yet.... the cornstarch is an interesting possibility....

I'll let ya know how the next one turns out

wayner100
Posted: Friday, March 2, 2012 11:23 AM

Hey O E,

How long are you expecting the whip cream to hold up??

Blooming some gealatin in the cream should give you a pretty stable mix. Although you should be sure it is totally dissolved if you put it into the Gas Dispenser to prevent it from clogging the nozzles !!

Maybe gelatin sheets would be a better choice, but you need to have a professional source for that stuff. A little on line snoop may help. 

Wayner

P.S. my samples may have gotten lost !!!!   biggrin 

Oceans Edge
Posted: Saturday, March 3, 2012 1:16 PM

Heyya Wayner,

Darned posties... can't trust em, they musta snarfed your samples. *grins*

As for the stablizing thing - here's the thing, the whipped cream is the FILLING so it's not that it has to stay stable for long, but it does have to hold up the flavours (and texture) of the pie - it being the 'main attraction' as it were....as opposed to a topping piped on top of the pie.

I'm gonna try again today - as it's Doggie Baking Day (and I also have a large load of stuff to get out for a bake sale on Tuesday). No, the dogs won't get the pie, but it'll gimme something to fiddle with while their cookies are baking (40 mins per oven load - expecting 6 or seven loads today what with Tuesdays bake sale) and the croissants need to sit in the fridge for 2 hrs between folds....

Anyway... today's plan is to try a custard mix, so we'll make up a nice Irish Coffee custard (pastry cream) and then use the whipped cream to lighten it, and hopefully give the pie the nice light fluffy filling texture I'm going for. The other option ... now that I'm noodling on it ... is to use a meringue to lighten the custard filling.... and use the whip cream as a topping.....

On a completely different note..... I found these cool 'Ratatouille' movie posters online (see avatar LOL). The minimalist look is sooooo cool - gonna roder one. But then hubby tells me he can make me a stencil (love having a laser cutter machine in the house) - I'm thinking of using it to actually stencil the pattern all over the kitchen walls.... Now all I need is the cool wrought iron bistro sign from the movie. *grins*

http://www.gallerywonchan.com/collections/frontpage/products/ratatouille-minimalist-pixar-poster

wayner100
Posted: Sunday, March 4, 2012 10:36 AM

Hey O E,

How about a "No-Bake" concept. 

Use the custard as a base and fold in the whipped cream to fluff it up. Jamie Oliver in his Food Revolution Cook Book does one, also the Podleski Sister's Loonie Spoons Collection has one. They may work with a little "noodle" power. Done Jamie's version and it's delicious and looks awesome. I'm sure looking a the sister's version it would be the same.

Looking forward to the test samples happy 

Oceans Edge
Posted: Sunday, March 4, 2012 11:04 AM

Yes! Exactly - sorry - I've been working from a 'no bake' concept here all along *grins* The issue was stabalizing the whip cream enough to hold up the flavours etc.... but the custard idea with either a whip cream or a meringue to give it that required fluffiness....

Last night's attempt with the beaten egg whites worked much better.... the custard is just lovely! But it still needs some tweaking - the filling this time came out a bit too soft still - it's still falling part when the pie is cut. It tastes delish, but looks a mess. It's really kinda a balancing act of getting the filling light, fluffy and whipped, but getting it solid enough to hold together when the pie is cut. I'm a bit wary of adding any more corn starch to the custard to make it any firmer - and losing any of the flavour to that 'corn starchy custardy' thing that happens when there's too much starch... maybe more egg yolk...

The filling came out a lovely gentle kinda Bailey's flavour - which works well with the cookie crumb crust (which I do bake for 10 minutes just to give it a little solidity). The flavour is a BIT on the mild side, I'm thinking a touch more coffee and irish whiskey in the custard will make the custard too strong, but will work well in the pie once the beaten egg whites are folded in. It really does need something to give it a wee bit of punch - it's a nice flavour but it kinda wimps out.

My mojito pie relies on the salt in the crushed pretzel crust for it's punch - and that works well. This one just needs some wow factor in there somewhere. But I am getting close.

BTW - the irish flavoured whip cream though - OMG! That was perfect (1 oz irish whiskey, 1 oz simple syrup, 8 oz whipping cream in the cream whipper and bob's your uncle - it is ... amazing

Psst... the attached photo will give you some idea of the general problem with the body of the filling

File Attachment(s):
DSCF6438A.jpg (48431 bytes)

Eating Well
Eating Well

Healthy eating recipes, tips, videos and more!

Daily Dish

• Apple Butter Cookies

Apple Butter Cookies

• Dijon Baked Chicken with Rice and Broccoli

Dijon Baked Chicken with Rice and Broccoli

• Pan Roasted Chicken Breasts with Speedy Pan Sauce

Pan Roasted Chicken Breasts with Speedy Pan Sauce

• Ravioli with Squash and Mascarpone

Ravioli with Squash and Mascarpone

• Roasted Garlic Vegetable Tart

Roasted Garlic Vegetable Tart

• The Better Butter Chicken