Abalone Crusted Wagyu Beef with Matsutake Mushroom Reduction
- prep time 0 min
- total time 0 min
- serves 4
4 8 ounce Wagyu Flat Iron Fillets (may substitute with Angus Beef or Sterling Silver Beef)The Abalone Crust
½ teaspoon garlic, chopped
½ teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon ginger juice
4 ounces Japanese soy sauce
4 ounces mirin or sherry
4 teaspoons black miso
1 large preserved abalone (approximately 3 to 4 ounces in weight), chopped to a fine dice (available in any Chinese supermarket)
2 tablespoons peanut or vegetable oilThe Matsutake Mushroom Reduction
4 large matsutake mushrooms (may substitute King Oyster mushrooms cut in 1 inch slices)
1 ½ cups dashi stock (may substitute beef stock with 1 teaspoon of fish sauce - available in any Chinese supermarket)9138
1. Mix the ingredients of the abalone crust thoroughly and add the Wagyu beef. Let the beef marinate for a minimum of 6 hours and a maximum of 2 days, overnight for best results.
2. In a hot cast iron skillet add peanut oil and sear the steaks to your liking.
3. Once cooked, remove the steaks from the skillet and let rest for 5 to 6 minutes.The Abalone Crust The Matsutake Mushroom Reduction
1. Place the mushrooms in the same skillet for 30 seconds then add the dashi stock and reduce for 2 minutes.
2. Pour over the Wagyu and serve.9138