Abalone Crusted Wagyu Beef with Matsutake Mushroom Reduction
- serves 4
This special occasion dish will wow your guests with exotic flavours and luxurious ingredients.
4 8 oz Wagyu Flat Iron Fillets (may substitute with Angus Beef or Sterling Silver Beef)The Abalone Crust
½ tsp garlic, chopped
½ tsp sugar
1 tsp ginger juice
4 oz Japanese soy sauce
4 oz mirin or sherry
tsp black miso
1 large preserved abalone (approximately 3 to 4 ounces in weight), chopped to a fine dice (available in any Chinese supermarket)
2 Tbsp peanut or vegetable oilThe Matsutake Mushroom Reducti
4 large matsutake mushrooms (may substitute King Oyster mushrooms cut in 1 inch slices)
1 ½ cup dashi stock (may substitute beef stock with 1 teaspoon of fish sauce - available in any Chinese supermarket)9138
1. Mix the ingredients of the abalone crust thoroughly and add the Wagyu beef. Let the beef marinate for a minimum of 6 hours and a maximum of 2 days, overnight for best results.
2. In a hot cast iron skillet add peanut oil and sear the steaks to your liking.
3. Once cooked, remove the steaks from the skillet and let rest for 5 to 6 minutes.The Abalone Crust The Matsutake Mushroom Reducti
1. Place the mushrooms in the same skillet for 30 seconds then add the dashi stock and reduce for 2 minutes.
2. Pour over the Wagyu and serve.9138