- prep time 0 min
- total time 0 min
- serves 12
1 cup blanched hazelnuts
2 4 ½ ounce packages blanched whole almonds
½ cup ground almonds
2 cups sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
½ cup honey
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ cup water
2 egg whites
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract
¼ cup butter, softened
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Add hazelnuts and whole almonds to cookie sheet. Toast until golden, about 10 minutes.
3. Add sugar, corn syrup, honey, salt and water in a heavy bottomed saucepot (3 quart). Over medium heat, stir mixture until sugar dissolves. Continue cooking, without stirring until syrup reaches the hard ball stage, reading 252 degrees F. on a candy thermometer.
4. Meanwhile, in a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat egg whites at high speed until stiff peaks form.
5. While mixer is on, in a thin steady stream, pour ¼ cup of hot syrup over egg whites, beating at high speed until mixture is stiff enough to hold its shape, about 5 minutes.
6. Continue to cook the remaining syrup to brittle threads, reading 315 to 318 degrees F. on a candy thermometer.
7. While mixer is on, in a thin steady stream, pour remaining hot syrup over egg whites, beating at high speed until mixture is stiff enough to hold its shape. Add vanilla extract, almond extract and butter, beating again for about 5 minutes. Stir in toasted nuts and ground almonds with a wooden spoon. Transfer mixture to a buttered 11 x 7 x 1 ¼-inch pan. Smooth the mixture evenly with a spatula. If it is a particularly humid day, refrigerate until firm.
8. Loosen edges of candy with a knife. Invert nougat on cutting board. Cut into pieces. Store in airtight container.