American-Style Double Cheeseburgers (Big Macs)
- prep time40 min
- total time 60 min
- serves 4
Learn how to make a classic fast-food dish at home on your BBQ, including the "secret sauce".
¾ cup mayonnaise
¼ cup finely chopped onion
1 Tbsp store-bought French salad dressing (orange colour)
1 Tbsp sweet relish
1 Tbsp finely chopped dill pickle
1 tsp brown sugar
1 tsp ketchup
1 tsp white vinegar
1 pinch salt and pepperCheeseburgers
6 hamburger buns
1 ½ lb(s) ground bison or lean ground beef
4 slices orange process cheese (such as Kraft Singles)
Sliced sandwich pickles (to taste)
Finely chopped onion (to taste)
Chopped iceberg lettuce (to taste)
1. In a bowl, combine all the ingredients. Season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate.Cheeseburgers
1. Preheat the grill, setting the burners to high.
2. Using a bread knife, slice the tops off 2 hamburger buns. Repeat for the bottoms. You should have 4 slices to place in the middle of the hamburgers. Set aside.
3. Shape the meat into 8 large but very thin patties.
4. Grill the patties until well-done, about 3 minutes a side. Season with salt and pepper. Place the cheese slices on 4 of the patties for the last minute of cooking. Toast the buns.
5. Spread sauce on the bun bottoms. Lay 1 plain patty on each bun bottom. Place a few pickle slices on each patty. Cover with the bun middles. Spread with sauce and garnish with onion and lettuce. Top with the remaining patties. Spread sauce on the bun tops and place on the patties.