Anne Willian's Home Canned Tomatoes
- prep time10 min
- total time 100 min
- serves 0
Preserved tomatoes packed with fresh herbs for extra flavour from Laura Calder.
fresh whole tomatoes
1. Pack whole tomatoes into quart/litre jars with a few thyme sprigs, a couple of bay leaves, and an onion slice or two. Close the lids and set the jars on a rack in a deep pan.
2. Add enough water to cover generously. Weight the jars down with a brick (or a heavy pot lid) so they don't float.
3. Simmer for an hour and a half until the tomatoes lose their shape and collapse.
4. Let the jars cool in the water so that they form a tight seal.
5. When done, each jar will look only half full of tomatoes.