- serves 8
With layers of fresh vegetables, assorted cold cuts and your favourite cheese, this antipasti loaf is perfect for parties, picnics and dinner for the fam!
1 red bell pepper, halved and cored
1 yellow bell pepper, halved and cored
60 mL (1/4 cup) olive oil
1 zucchini, sliced lengthwise into slices about 1/2 cm (1/4 inch) thick
1 medium eggplant, in 1-cm (1/2-inch) slices
60 mL (1/4 cup) chopped flat-leaf parsley
5 mL (1 teaspoon) chopped fresh thyme
Grated zest of 1 lemon
30 mL (2 tablespoons) lemon juice
1 loaf round country bread, about 20 cm (8 inches) diameter
4 thin slices each of assorted cold cuts such as ham, salami, roast pork, capicollo, cured garlic sausage, etc.
1 balls mozzarella di bufala or similar cheese (Mozzarina, for example), sliced
125 mL (1/2 cup) baby arugula
Salt and pepper
1. Preheat the grill, setting the burners to high.
2. Brush the peppers lightly with olive oil and grill until the skin starts to blacken, about 10 minutes.
3. Place the peppers in a sealed container. Let cool. Pull off the skin. Dice. Set aside.
4. Brush the zucchini and eggplant slices with the remaining oil. Grill on both sides.
5. In a bowl, gently combine the grilled vegetables with the herbs, lemon zest and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until chilled. Drain.
6. Cut the top off the loaf and scoop out enough bread to leave a cavity with walls about 2.5 cm (1 inch) thick. Save the removed bread for another use (breadcrumbs, panzanella salad, etc.).
7. Spread the butter on the inside of the loaf and underside of the cap. Layer the ingredients in the cavity until well filled: ham, red pepper, prosciutto, zucchini, roast pork, eggplant, mozzarella, arugula, salami, yellow pepper and garlic sausage, for example. Place the cap on the loaf. Cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
8. Note: If pressed for time, you can use antipasti vegetables from an Italian grocery.
Le pain de Pain Doré ou Première Moisson a la forme parfaite pour faire cette recette. (Note pour le tournage)