Apple Maple Sugar Pie
- serves 6
2 tsp gelatin
1 cup cold water
¾ cup maple syrup
1 Tbsp dark rumMaple Apple Confit
4 Royal Gala apple, peeled, cored and cubed
½ cup maple syrupCrumble
½ cup all-purpose unbleached flour
3 Tbsp brown sugar
¼ tsp salt
¼ cup butter, softened
1 Tbsp dark rumWhipped Cream
½ cup 35% cream
1 Tbsp maple syrup
¼ cup sour creamAssembly
1. In a small bowl, sprinkle the gelatin over 60 ml (1/4 cup) of water. Let it bloom for 5 minutes.
2. In a saucepan, bring the remainder of the ingredients to a boil. Add and melt the bloomed gelatin. Spoon in the bottom of 6 whisky glasses. Refrigerate 6 hours.Maple Apple Confit
1. In a large skillet, bring to a boil the maple syrup and apples. Cook stirring frequently until the apples are tender and that the liquid as thicken. Refrigerate 2 hours. Drain the apples.Crumble
1. With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F). Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a food processor, pulse the flour, brown sugar and salt until combine. Add the butter and rum and pulse briefly until the texture is crumbly. Sprinkle on the cookie sheet. Bake 10 minutes, stir and bake an additional 7 minutes until it is golden brown. Allow tocool completely.Whipped Cream
1. In a bowl, whipped the cream with the syrup until soft peaks form. Add the sour cream and whip an additional 30 seconds.Assembly
1. Spoon the cream on the maple jelly. Add the cooled apples and sprinkle with the crumble.
2. Note Prepare the cream at the last moment; it is not a very stable cream due to the amount of liquids.