Applesauce Coffee Cake
- serves 12
This isn't your typical coffee cake! Welcome in the taste of apple, infused into this delicious loaf.
½ cup vegetable oil
½ cup sugar
⅓ cup light brown sugar, packed
1 whole large egg
1 large egg yolk
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 ⅔ cup pastry flour
1 tsp baking powder
¾ tsp baking soda
½ tsp ground nutmeg
½ tsp ground gingerFor Streusel
½ cup light brown sugar, packed
2 Tbsp all purpose flour
2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
1 cup walnut pieces, lightly toastedTo Assemble Jumbo Applesauce Muffins
1. Preheat oven to 350 °F and grease and flour a 9-x-5-inch loaf pan.
2. For loaf, whisk vegetable oil, brown sugar, sugar, whole egg, egg yolk and vanilla until smooth. Stir in applesauce. In a separate bowl, sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg and ginger and stir gently into applesauce mixture.
3. For streusel, combine brown sugar, flour and cinnamon. Stir in melted butter and walnut pieces and toss to coat.
4. Spoon half of the applesauce batter into prepared loaf pan and sprinkle with half of the streusel. Top with remaining batter and sprinkle remaining streusel to finish. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, until a tester inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool loaf for 20 minutes, before turning out on a rack to cool completely.Jumbo Applesauce Muffins
1. Prepare the Applesauce Streusel Loaf as above, except spoon batter into 6 greased jumbo muffin tins and bake for 30 to 40 minutes. Let muffins cool for 20 minutes before turning out.