Arugula Salad with Cherry Jalapeno Poppers and Cherry Vinaigrette
- prep time 65 min
- total time 95 min
- serves 4
¾ cup (175 mL) red wine vinegar
¾ cup (175 mL) water
¼ cup (60 mL) granulated sugar
1 Tbsp (15 mL) orange zest
1 tsp (5 mL) black peppercorns
1 tsp (5 mL) coriander seeds
2 bay leaves
1 cinnamon stick
2 cup (500 mL) whole pitted cherriesCherry-Jalapeno Popper Filling
½ cup (125 mL) room temperature goat cheese
1 Tbsp + 1 teaspoon milk (20 mL)
1 Tbsp (15 mL) minced pickled jalapeno
salt and pepper
12 large pitted whole cherriesCherry-Jalapeno Popper Tempura
½ cup (125 mL) all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp (20 mL) cornstarch
½ tsp (2 mL) baking powder
½ tsp (2 mL) salt
½ cup (125 mL) club soda
vegetable oil for deep fryingShallot, Bacon and Cherry Vina
4 slices applewood bacon, finely diced
2 shallots, finely diced
¼ cup (60 mL) cherry juice
2 Tbsp (30 mL) pickling liquid from pickled cherries
½ cup (125 mL) extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepperSalad
1 cup (250 mL) goat yogurt seasoned to taste with salt and pepper
4 cup (1 L) arugula
½ cup (125 mL) freshly pitted whole cherries
½ cup (125 mL) pickled cherries
1. In a medium saucepan set over medium-high heat, combine the first 8 ingredients and bring to boil, then reduce temperature to medium and simmer until sugar has dissolved, about 5 minutes.
2. Strain pickling mixture into a bowl, discard pickling ingredients, return liquid to saucepan and add cherries. Cook until cherries are tender, about 30 minutes, then ladle into a sterilized 2-cup Mason jar, top with snap lid and retaining ring, and refrigerate until ready to use.Cherry-Jalapeno Popper Filling
1. Whisk together goat cheese, milk and pickled jalapeno, season to taste with salt and pepper, spoon into a piping bag, and stuff cherries; do not over fill. Set aside.Cherry-Jalapeno Popper Tempura
1. Whisk together flour, corn starch, baking powder and salt, then whisk in soda to form a batter.
2. Set a small, deep saucepan over medium-high heat, add oil to a 3-inch depth, and heat to 375 degrees Fahrenheit (190 degrees Celsius).
3. Working in batches, dip stuffed cherries in batter and deep fry in oil until golden, about 4 minutes, then transfer to paper towelling.Shallot, Bacon and Cherry Vina
1. In a small skillet set over medium heat, add bacon and shallots and cook until bacon is crisp and shallots are golden, about 5 minutes, then add cherry juice and reduce by half.
2. Whisk in picking liquid and oil, season to taste with salt and pepper.Salad
1. To Plate: Smear yogurt on each of 4 plates. Toss together arugula, fresh and pickled cherries, dress lightly with warm bacon-shallot dressing, and mount on top of yogurt.
2. Place 3 cherry-jalapeno poppers on top of each salad and serve immediately.
We're cooking up a delicious new site!
Check out our new look and stay tuned for ongoing changes across the BETA site.Check out the site