Asian 5 Spice Shepherd's Pie
- prep time15 min
- total time 75 min
- serves 6
Classic culinary comfort with ground beef, ground pork, vegetables and delicious Asian flavours.
Inspired by VH Sauces
2 Tbsp (30 mL) vegetable oil
3 cup (750 mL) finely chopped onions
1 cup (250 mL) finely chopped celery (optional)
1 ½ lb(s) (750 g) ground beef
1 lb(s) (500 g) ground pork
3 Tbsp (45 mL) flour
3 Tbsp (45 mL) VH® Soya Sauce
1 bottle (355 mL) VH® Asian 5 Spice Stir-Fry Sauce
1 can (398 mL) Hunt's® Tomato Sauce Original
1 cup (250 mL) frozen peas
2 ½ lb(s) (1.25 kg) yellow flesh potatoes, peeled and chopped
¾ cup (180 mL) milk
2 Tbsp (30 mL) butter
PAM® Original Cooking Spray
1. Spray a large cooking saucepan with PAM® Original Cooking Spray. Add oil; heat over medium heat. Add onions and celery; cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add beef and pork; cook, stirring for 20 minutes or until meat is cooked through and lightly browned.
2. Add flour, stir until well mixed. Add VH® Soya Sauce, VH® Asian 5 Spice Stir-Fry Sauce, HUNT'S® Tomato Sauce and 1 cup (250 mL) water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, partially covered, until slightly thickened. Stir in peas.
3. Meanwhile, place potatoes in large pot of boiling water for 20 minutes. Drain. Add butter, milk and potatoes back into pot and mash. Season with salt and pepper. Add more milk if necessary to acheive desired consistency.
4. Spray a 9"x 9" baking dish with PAM® Original Cooking Spray; spread meat mixture in dish and top evenly with mashed potatoes.
5. Bake in 350°F (175°C) oven until heated through and bubbling around edges, about 25 minutes.
6. Tip: The shepherd's pie can be made entirely with beef if desired, substitute pork portion with beef.