Asian Filo Salmon with Spinach Salad
- serves 4
This recipe is part of a specially designed weekly meal plan. For a grocery list and other great recipes you can make in this meal plan, please click to the episode title above.
4 150g servings of boneless, skinless salmon
Melted butter (optional)
Chinese 5 spice (pinch per piece)
1 pinch dried dill and rosemary per pieceSpinach Salad
Washed baby spinach (in a bag)
½ cup finely slivered red onion
1 to 10 fresh sliced strawberries
Raspberry vinaigrette (prepared)
Whole cashews (optional)Sauce
1 Tbsp cornstarch
5 oz chicken broth
1 tsp ground ginger
¾ cup honey garlic sauce
tsp to 2 teaspoons sweet chili sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
1. Preheat oven to 375F. Wash and cut salmon into 4 serving pieces. Pat dry.
2. Melt ¼ cup butter (if using butter)
3. Separate 4 sheets of filo and put the rest back in the freezer.
4. Cut 4 sheets in half across the short width so you have 8 pieces in total. (Do not cut lengthwise, you do not want narrow strips).
5. Separate 2 sheets on top of another.
6. Cover the remaining pieces with a clean T-towel and give the top of the towel a little squirt of water with a mister or a BBQ spray bottle so they don’t dry out.
7. Lay piece of salmon in the center of filo.
8. Sprinkle each piece with spice. Brush the filo around the salmon with butter. (Note: It is very important to brush oil or butter on every layer of filo).
9. Fold opposite ends of filo over the salmon and then fold over the sides.
10. Brush the remaining piece of filo and fold in the same fashion.
11. Place on a sprayed cookie sheet.
12. Brush the top of each bundle and sprinkle with dried dill and rosemary.
13. Place filo bundles on sprayed cookie sheet.
14. Bake in oven for 20 minutes.Spinach Salad
1. Rinse spinach and spin in salad spinner.Sauce
1. In a stovetop pot combine in the following order: Cornstarch, ginger powder, and then gradually whisk in chicken broth. Set heat to medium. Add honey garlic sauce, sweet chili sauce and sesame oil.
2. Once sauce starts to boil, reduce heat to a high simmer. Cook until sauce is reduced to ½ or thick but still runny.
3. Pool sauce on bottom of each plate, place salmon on top.
4. Arrange spinach, onion, strawberries, cashews and dressing.