Bacon and Egg and Mashed Potato Meat Pies
- prep time 1 min
- total time 1 min
- serves 4
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 lb(s) ground beef
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic, cloves, chopped
1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
pinch cayenne pepper
3 Tbsp ground tomato, or tomato sauce
salt and pepper
1 Tbsp flour
1 cup beef stock
2 medium Yukon Gold potato, cooked
2 Tbsp butter
store bought puff pastry
8 piece bacon, cooked
4 whole egg
melted butter, for brushing pastryPâte Brisée
2 cup all purpose flour
½ tsp salt
½ cup shortening
1 cup milk
1. Heat oil in a saucepan. Sauté onion and beef until beef is browned.
2. Add garlic, thyme and cayenne and ground tomatoes. Continue to cook for 2 minutes.
3. Add flour and cook 2 more minutes.
4. Add stock and simmer until thickened. Check seasoning. Cool. Set aside.
5. Cook potatoes in boiling salted water. Drain and mash with butter. Set aside.
6. Brush four 4-inch tart shells with melted butter.
7. Make pâte brisée according to recipe. Alternately, roll out enough puff pastry to 1/4 inch thickness to cut 4 rounds about 6-inches in diameter.
8. Press pastry into the tart shells.
9. Crack an egg into each tart shell. Pierce the yolk and spread it around a bit.
10. Divide bacon evenly over the 4 eggs.
11. Cover each egg with a layer of meat mixture then cover meat with mashed potatoes.
12. Place tarts on a baking sheet and bake for 12 to 15 minutes until pastry is golden.Pâte Brisée
1. Put milk and shortening into a saucepan. Bring to a boil to melt shortening. Remove from heat.
2. Sift and combine flour and salt. Put mixture into a food processor.
3. Pour in the boiled milk mixture while hot.
4. Pulse until mixture comes together and comes away from the sides of the bowl.
5. Remove to a lightly floured surface and form into a disc. Let rest for 15 to 20 minutes. Doesn’t need to be refrigerated.
6. While the dough is still warm roll it out to1/8 inch thickness. Cut rounds 1/2 inch larger than your moulds.