Bacon Barley Risotto
- prep time1 min
- total time 45 min
- serves 2
Just like high-starch rice, barley may be simmered and stirred into a smooth, creamy risotto, absorbing the flavour of the bacon and rich chicken broth as it slowly cooks.
4 or 5 cups of chicken broth
4 slices bacon, thinly chopped
2 onions, peeled and chopped
6 clove garlic, chopped
1 cup barley, pearl or pot
Salt and pepper
1 bunch chives or parsley, chopped
1. In one pot heat the broth to a gentle simmer.
2. In another pot fry the bacon over medium-high heat, until crisp and golden brown.
3. Add the onions and garlic and sauté until soft and golden.
4. Add the barley and stir for a few moments until well coated with bacon fat and heated through.
5. Add 1 cup or so of the hot chicken broth and stir until it is fully absorbed. Continue to add broth, 1 ladle-full at a time, letting it absorb fully before adding the next ladle.
6. Continue simmering until the barley is tender.
7. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in a handful of your favourite herbs.