6 slices bacon, roughly chopped
1 ½ cups crushed ketchup chips
2 ½ cups grated strong Cheddar cheese, divided
4 pkg ramen noodles
2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
2 cups 2% milk
2 Tbsp miso paste
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1 green onion, sliced (optional)
1 red chili, sliced (optional)
1. Heat bacon in an 8-inch cast iron pan over medium. Fry until crisp, shaking the pan intermittently, about 7 minute.
2. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon and set aside on a paper towel lined plate. Pour out the rendered fat from the pan and discard.
3. Return heat to medium and place crushed ketchup chips in pan with remaining fat layer. Stir chips until lightly toasted, about 3 minutes.
4. Remove from heat and transfer to a bowl. Stir ½ cup of grated cheddar cheese in the bowl with the crushed chips. Wipe pan clean with paper towel.
5. Preheat oven to 400ºF.
6. Bring a large pot of water to boil over high heat. Place ramen noodles in water until cooked al dente, about 3 minutes. Drain water and set noodles aside.
7. Combine butter and flour in the same cast iron pan over medium-high heat. Stir with a whisk until mixture is light brown, about 2 minutes.
8. Pour in milk and whisk to remove any clumps of flour.
9. Reduce heat to medium and continue to stir until mixture has thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 5 minutes.
10. Stir in miso paste and mustard. Place remaining 2 cups of cheese in milk mixture and cook until cheese is melted through and sauce is thick, about 2 minutes.
11. Stir in noodles and bacon to coat with sauce. Remove from heat and sprinkle crushed chip and cheese mixture over noodles. Bake in oven until cheese is melted and blistering, about 20 minutes. Remove from oven and garnish with green onions and red chili. Serve immediately.
Source and Credits
Recipe courtesy of Michelle Rabin