Baked Apple Hearts
- serves 6
3 large baking apples such as Spy, Northern or Crispin
½ cup crushed oatmeal cookie crumbs (125ml)
2 Tbsp packed brown sugar (30ml)
1 tsp cinnamon (5ml)
2 Tbsp raisins (30ml)
¼ cup dried cranberries (65ml)
2 Tbsp fancy molasses (30ml)
½ cup finely chopped rhubarb, fresh or frozen and thawed (125ml)
¼ cup all-purpose flour (65ml)
½ cup packed dark brown sugar (125ml)
¼ cup old-fashioned rolled oats (65ml)
3 Tbsp cold butter (45ml)
1. Preheat oven to 350F/180C.
2. Score apples horizonally around centre with a knife. Cut in half from top to bottom. Using a melon scoop, core apples and place cut side up in a ceramic baking dish.
3. In a bowl, combine cookie crumbs, sugar, cinnamon, raisins, cranberries, molasses and rhubarb. Pack mixture into apple cavities.
4. In a bowl, combine flour, sugar, oats and butter. Set aside.
5. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until tender. Mound topping on apples and return to oven for 10 to 15 minutes, until topping is crisp and golden brown.