The yogurt adds richness to this banana bread instead of the loads of fat that is usually added to quick breads. The yogurt also binds the batter so no eggs are needed. I've used whole wheat flour as well, so it's a nutritious banana bread with loads of great taste!
2 or 3 very ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 cup/250 ml)
cup honey (60 ml)
tsp vanilla (7 ml)
cup granulated sugar (60 ml)
cup plain yogurt, full fat (250 ml)
Tbsp vegetable oil (30 ml)
cup whole wheat flour (375 ml)
tsp baking soda (10 ml)
tsp salt (2 ml)
Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
ripe banana, sliced, to bake on top of bread as a garnish (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Lightly grease a 4-inch X 8-inch loaf pan. Line the bottom with parchment paper.
3. In a large bowl, mash bananas. Add the honey, vanilla, sugar, yogurt and oil. Mix with a spoon or spatula to combine.
4. Sift flour, baking soda, salt and nutmeg onto parchment paper or another bowl. Gently fold the dry ingredients into the banana mixture until just combined.
5. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan. Line banana slices decoratively on top of the batter, if desired. Bake 40 to 50 minutes, until golden and tester comes out clean. Let cool in the pan for 30 minutes. Flip onto a wire rack and cool completely. Cut into 8 to 10 slices. Serve.