Banana Macadamia Trifle
- serves 8
1 sponge cake, homemade, store bought
1 Tbsp butter
2 ripe banana, peeled, sliced
¼ cup rum
juice, of half a, lime
3 clementine orange, peeled, segmented, chopped
¼ cup icing sugar
¼ cup orange liqueur, preferably Cointreau
6 Tbsp bittersweet chocolate
½ cup thirty-five percent cream
2 cup thirty-five percent cream
1 tsp vanilla
½ cup macadamia nuts
4 Tbsp bittersweet chocolate
¼ cup sugar, for caramel topping
chocolate, curls, for garnish
1. Melt butter in a large skillet. Add the bananas and toss over high heat for 2 to 3 minutes until golden. Remove from heat and add rum and lime juice. Set bananas aside until ready to assemble the trifle.
2. Peel and dice the persimmon. In a medium bowl, toss together clementine segments, persimmon, icing sugar and Curacao
3. Melt first amount of chocolate (6 tablespoons) over double boiler. Remove from heat. Stir in 1/2 cup cream until smooth. Cool to room temperature. Whip remaining 2 cups cream in a cold bowl until peaks just begin to form, but cream is still soft. Gradually add cooled chocolate mixture and whip on low speed until just blended and fluffy.
4. Drizzle macadamia nuts with second amount of chocolate (4 tablespoons) and cool until chocolate is firm.
5. For caramel, heat sugar over medium heat in a small heavy bottom pan for about 6 to 7 minutes or until golden.
6. To assemble the trifle start by breaking the sponge cake into pieces. Place half the sponge cake pieces in a pretty 8-cup glass bowl. Spoon half the banana mixture evenly over the top. Sprinkle with half the clementine mixture. Pour half the chocolate whipped cream over the trifle. Continue process with second layer of sponge cake, then add the rest of the bananas and the rest of the clementine mixture. Sprinkle with half the macadamia nuts. Top with remaining whipped cream and spread evenly.
7. Drizzle caramelized sugar over top of trifle. Arrange the remaining macadamia nuts decoratively and sprinkle with chocolate curls, if desired.