Barbequed Shrimp Taco with Mango-Pickled Red Onion Salad
- serves 0
Makes about 4 cups.
½ tsp vegetable oil
1 cup peeled, deveined, diced shrimp
salt, to taste
fresh cracked black pepper to taste
1 cup diced onion
1 cup BBQ sauce
½ cup jalapeno jack cheese
⅓ cup Cotija cheese or Mexican farmers cheese
⅓ cup toasted and coarsely ground green Mexican pumpkin seeds
4 fresh serrano chilies
4 sprig fresh cilantroMango-Pickled Red Onion Salad
2 ripe mangoes
pickled red onion (recipe follows)
3 cup julienne green cabbage
1 cup small diced jicama
Smoky Cumin Lime Vinaigrette (recipe to follow)
salt to tasteSmoky Cumin Lime Vinaigrette
½ cup vegetable oil
½ cup olive oil
½ cup fresh lime juice
1 small onion, diced and cold smoked for 20 minutes
½ Tbsp toasted whole cumin
1 cup fresh orange juice
½ Tbsp toasted whole cumin
2 Tbsp malt vinegar
3 Tbsp maple syrup
salt to tastePickled Red Onions
1 red onion
½ cup white wine vinegar
½ cup white sugar
pinch of salt
1. Place oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add shrimp to hot pan, season with salt and pepper and sauté for one minute until shrimp turns red. Add onions and sauté for two minutes or until translucent. Stir in barbecue sauce, bring to a boil and quickly remove pan from heat.
2. Add cheese and stir to combine until cheese has melted into mixture.
3. Place a warm tortilla in the middle of each warm serving plate. Spoon equal portions of shrimp mixture into the middle of each tortilla. Roll each tortilla into a cylinder with the seam side down. Then, add a small portion of Mango-Pickled Red Onion Salad on top of each taco.
4. Sprinkle with Cotija and Mexican pumpkin seeds and garnish with fresh serrano chilies (to be eaten like a pickle for the adventurous) and sprigs of cilantro.Mango-Pickled Red Onion Salad
1. Place the first six ingredients into a medium bowl. Slowly add vinaigrette until salad is lightly coated. Season with salt and serve immediately.Smoky Cumin Lime Vinaigrette
1. Combine the first three ingredients in a medium bowl. Add smoked onions, orange juice, cumin, vinegar and maple syrup to a small sauce pot and bring to a boil. Cook until mixture has reduced to almost dry, about five minutes. Place smoked onion mixture into blender and purée until smooth. Add to oil and lime juice mixture. Season with salt and stir until completely blended.Pickled Red Onions
1. Peel onion. Cut in half and slice into very thin half-moon shapes. Put in a small bowl and set aside.
2. Heat vinegar and sugar (50/50) in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly. When sugar dissolves, remove from heat. Add pinch of salt, pour over onion in container and cover with plastic. Put in the refrigerator and allow to stand overnight and pickle approximately 8-12 hours. When cool, drain onions and use for salad.