Basic Gingerbread Cut-Out Cookies
- prep time 1 min
- total time 1 min
- serves NULL
½ cup unsalted butter at room temperature
¾ cup packed dark brown sugar
½ cup fancy molasses
2 large eggs at room temperature
3 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp ground ginger
½ tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp ground allspice
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
1. Beat the butter, brown sugar and molasses together until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, beating well after each addition.
2. In a separate bowl, sift the flour, ginger, cinnamon, allspice, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add this to the butter mixture and stir until blended. Shape the dough into 2 disks, wrap and chill for about an hour up to 2 days (the dough will still be soft, even once chilled).
3. Preheat the oven to 350 F and line 2-3 baking trays with parchment paper. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the first disk of dough until just over 1/8-inch thick. Use a cookie cutter of your choosing to cut out cookie shapes and lift then carefully to the prepared trays, leaving about ½-inch between them. Continue with the second piece of dough – any scraps can be stored chilled and then re-rolled until it has all been used.
4. Bake the cookies for 15-18 minutes until you see them brown a little just around the edges. Let the cookies cool for a few minutes on the tray before removing to cool completely.
5. The cookies will keep for up to 10 days in an airtight container.