BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwich with Horseradish Coleslaw and Parsley Infused Watermelon
- prep time 0 min
- total time 55 min
- serves 20
1 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
2 tablespoons cumin, ground
2 tablespoons fennel seed, ground
1 tablespoon black pepper
2 tablespoons mustard seed, ground
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
1 ½ teaspoons coffee, groundBBQ Pulled Pork
2 pounds pork butt, cut into 1 inch pieces
BBQ Spice Mix
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 onions, peeled and sliced
2 green apples, sliced
⅓ cup tomato paste
¼ cup sherry vinegar
2 cups beer (lager)
2 cups water
⅓ cup President’s Choice Barbeque Sauce
2 cups chicken stockHorseradish Coleslaw
½ green cabbage, julienned
½ purple cabbage, julienned
⅔ cup cider vinegar
1 carrot, peeled and julienned
1 green apple, julienned and tossed with lemon juice to prevent from oxidizing
½ cup parsley leaves, finely chopped
1 cup President’s Choice Mayonnaise
2 tablespoons President’s Choice Horseradish, prepared
juice of ½ lemon
saltParsley Infused Watermelon
½ small watermelon, rind removed, seeded and cut into 1½ inch cubes
½ bunch parsley, smashedAssembly
5 kaiser buns, cut in ½
1. In a bowl, mix spices together and set aside.BBQ Pulled Pork
1. Season pork with salt and BBQ Spice Mix, reserving 1-2 tablespoons of Spice Mix.
2. Heat vegetable oil in a sauté pan over medium high heat. Add pork, sear on all sides until golden brown. Approximately 10 minutes. Remove and set aside.
3. Add onions and apples to pan, sauté until caramelized. Add 1 tablespoon of reserved BBQ Spice Mix and toast.
4. Add tomato paste, stir and cook until dark, approximately 3 minutes.
5. Deglaze with sherry vinegar. Add beer, water, barbeque sauce and chicken stock, bring to a boil. Adjust seasoning if necessary.
6. Place seared pork and onion mixture in the pressure cooker. Cook on high until pork is tender, approximately 40 minutes. Remove pork, set aside and skim fat from sauce.
7. Using an immersion blender, puree cooking liquid, onions and apples. Place back in pressure cooker.
8. Shred pork, removing any excess fat. Add to pressure cooker, keep on low until ready to serve.Horseradish Coleslaw
1. Place cabbage in a large bowl, season with salt and apple cider vinegar. Using hands or a wooden spoon, stir cabbage to release water content.
2. Add carrots and let stand for 5 minutes to release more of the moisture content.
3. Add apples, chopped parsley, mayonnaise, horseradish and lemon juice. Toss to incorporate, adjust seasoning if necessary. Set aside for assembly.Parsley Infused Watermelon
1. Place watermelon cubes in a le Creuset rectangular Deep Dish Casserole.
2. Cover with parsley and place in fridge to marinate for approximately 24 hours.
3. Remove parsley, skewer watermelon pieces and set aside for serving.Assembly
1. Spoon approximately 1 cup of BBQ Pulled Pork on bottom ½ of kaiser bun.
2. Place ½ cup of Horseradish Coleslaw on top. Top with bun lid.
3. Cut into quarters and place 1 quarter on each plate.
4. Place Parsley Infused Watermelon on each plate and serve.