Beef and Roasted Root Vegetable Stew
- prep time 0 min
- total time 190 min
- serves 4
5 carrots, chopped (4 for roasted veg, 1 for stew flavouring)
4 parsnips, chopped
2 red onions, chopped
4 beets, chopped
4 clove garlic, crushed
6 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 pinch of sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper
3 1 inch-thick slices of beef fore shank, with the meat cut into bite-sized cubes (reserve bone)
flour to coat
½ cup red wine
6 cup organic beef stock
1 celery stalk (for flavoring stew broth)
¼ cup fresh parsley
2 bay leaves
2 sprig thyme
1 pinch black peppercorns
½ cup dry red lentils
1 pinch of brown sugar
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Chop 4 carrots, 4 parsnips, 2 onions and 4 beets uniformly, so they roast evenly. Spread root vegetables in a single layer on a baking sheet, coat with 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, garlic, sea salt and cracked pepper. Mix. Roast in oven for 45 minutes.
3. Heat 3 tbsp olive oil on medium. Lightly toss beef cubes in flour and add to pan. Sear for a few minutes on all sides until meat has a crisp exterior.
4. Deglaze the pan with red wine.
5. Transfer the beef and juices into a big pot and add beef stock, add 1 halved carrot, 1 halved celery stalk, 1/4 cup fresh parsley, bone (from the foreshank), bay leaves, thyme and peppercorns.
6. Cover and simmer for 2 hours, check on stew occasionally, remove scum.
7. Remove soggy carrot, celery, bones, and herbs. Add roasted vegetables and red lentils, let simmer an additional 20 minutes. Serve in bowls topped with fresh, minced parsley.
We're cooking up a delicious new site!
Check out our new look and stay tuned for ongoing changes across the BETA site.Check out the site