Beef and Vegetable Skewers with Pesto Sauce
- prep time 1 min
- total time 1 min
- serves 4
1 lb. sirloin steak, (1 1/2 inches thick)
1 red onion
1 sweet red pepper
1 sweet yellow pepper
1 large zucchini
12 mushroom, caps
pesto, vinaigrette, (recipe follows)
3 large cloves garlic, quartered
1 tsp salt
2 cup packed fresh parsley
2 Tbsp dried basil
1 cup packed fresh basil
3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tsp sugar
⅔ cup olive oil, approximately
1. Cut beef into 1 1/2-inch (4 cm) cubes. Cut onion into similar-size chunks. Core, seed and cut red and yellow peppers into similar-size squares. Cut zucchini into thick slices.
2. Alternately thread steak, onion, peppers, zucchini and mushrooms onto metal skewers; brush lightly with oil.
3. Place skewers on greased grill over high heat; cook for 2 minutes. Reserving half of the Pesto Vinaigrette, brush some of the remaining vinaigrette over skewers.
4. Cook, turning and basting occasionally with vinaigrette, for 10 to 12 minutes or until beef is medium-rare and vegetables are tender-crisp.
5. Remove to platter and tent with foil; let stand for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with reserved vinaigrette.Pesto Vinaigrette
1. In food processor, puree garlic and salt until pastelike. Add parsley and basil; process until in a fine paste. With motor running, add vinegar and sugar, then oil in thin, steady stream. Season with pepper to taste.
2. Yield: 1 cup (250 mL)