Beef Short Rib Lettuce Wrap
- prep time20 min
- total time 215 min
- serves 3
Recipe courtesy of Alon Fuks and Emma Bongers.
8 lb(s) bone-in beef short ribs
3 L beer
2 L cola
1 L water
3 cups steak spice
8 red onions
15 cloves garlic, peeled
1 cup brown sugarPickled Carrots and Onions
3 L water
1 ½ L white vinegar
6 large carrots
4 large red onions
2 cups white sugar
12 large firm lettuce leaves (Romaine or iceberg), for assembly
1. Preheat oven to 375ºF (190ºC).
2. In a bowl, mix the steak spice and sugar and then coat the short ribs with the mixture. Sear the ribs in a skillet on high heat to create a crispy outer coating. Place ribs in a large roasting pan and set aside.
3. Roughly chop all vegetables and then cook over medium high in the same skillet as the short ribs.
4. Once the vegetables have sweated, about 10-15 minutes, then add a bit of beer to deglaze the pan. Pour the vegetables over the ribs in the roasting pan.
5. Add all the liquid to the roasting pan and make sure the meat is completely submerged. Cover and place in the oven for about 3 hours. Towards the end of the 2-hour mark, remove cover and continue cooking.
6. Once out of the oven, remove meat from juices and set aside. Strain the liquid and then place in a pan and reduce over low heat to use as a jus for the short ribs.Pickled Carrots and Onions
1. In a large pot, whisk the vinegar, water and sugar until sugar is completely dissolved. Place mixture on the stove and bring to a boil, then let cool slightly.
2. Julienne the carrots and onions and place in the quick pickling liquid for about 1 ½ hours. Refrigerate and serve.
3. To assemble the wraps, scoop short ribs into the lettuce cups and drizzle with a small amount of jus. Top with pickles. Serve 2 lettuce wraps per person.
4. Cook’s Note: The short ribs can also be cooked in a pressure cooker for 2 hours, if there is no oven.