Beer Can Chicken with Foccacia and Veggies
- prep time 0 min
- total time 0 min
- serves 4
1 onion finely chopped
2 can beer (335 mL each)
¼ cup Dijon mustard (60 mL)
¼ cup sweet soy sauce (60 mL)
4 tsp prepared garlic in a jar (40 mL)
1 tsp Tabasco sauce (5 mL)
½ tsp kosher or sea salt (2.5 mL)
½ tsp black pepper (2.5 mL)
1 whole roasting chicken, raw (3 pounds)
2 tsp each smoked paprika, dry mustard and coarse salt (10 mL)
1 tsp black pepper (5 mL)
½ tsp each cumin, celery seed, nutmeg (2.5 mL)
BBQ coals (optional)
Olive oil and balsamic vinegar (optional)
1. The night before…
Place onion in a mixing bowl or wide flat pot.
2. Add the following: beer, mustard, sweet soy sauce, garlic, Tabasco, salt and pepper.
3. Wash chicken inside and out. Place chicken in bowl of marinade so that the top side (breasts and legs) are sitting in the marinade.
4. Marinate in the fridge overnight. Remember to leave a baster in the pot.
5. Make spice rub by combining all spices. Set aside. Tip: by using the smoked paprika you do not need to use wood chips for smoking. It has a similar effect (if not better)
6. When you arrive home for supper...
Get your coals ready or preheat your gas BBQ at a medium (set double burners to low to achieve 350 F or 175 C).
7. Serve veggies and dip.
8. Wash the outside of the beer can thoroughly and open, pouring 1/2 the can into a glass for your drinking enjoyment.
9. Add 1 tsp of the rub mixture to the 1/2 can of beer.
10. Use a can opener to make two additional slits on the top of the can of beer.
11. Cover feet and wing tips with foil.
12. Slide the cavity of the bird over the top of the can, making a tripod with the two front legs and the can of beer being the 3rd leg (the bird is standing upright).
13. Insert meat thermometer into the bird so that the end is in the meatiest section. Chicken is ready when the thermometer reads 185 F (90 C) (40 minutes to 1 hour).
14. When chicken is getting close to 185 F (90 C) place open side foccacia on opposite side of grill until slightly browned.
15. Remove and serve with oil and vinegar.
We're cooking up a delicious new site!
Check out our new look and stay tuned for ongoing changes across the BETA site.Check out the site