- prep time 45 min
- total time 60 min
- serves 36 pieces
2 cups (500 mL) all-purpose flour
⅔ cup (150 mL) cold butter, cubed
2 egg yolksBite-Size Empanadas
1 tablespoon (15 mL) olive oil
12 ounces (375 g) fresh chorizo sausages, casings removed
½ onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ teaspoon (2 mL) each salt, ground cumin and paprika
¼ teaspoon (1 mL) ground allspice
½ cup (125 mL) potato, peeled and shredded
⅓ cup (75 mL) dry red wine (or chicken broth)
¼ cup (50 mL) black olives, pitted and sliced
3 tablespoons (45 mL) raisins
2 tablespoons (30 mL) tomato paste
3 tablespoons (45 mL) fresh cilantro, chopped
1. In bowl, combine flour and salt. Using pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in butter until in crumbs. Whisk 1 of the egg yolks with ½ cup (125 mL) ice cold water; drizzle over flour mixture, stirring and adding a bit more water, if necessary, to form a rough dough. Wrap in plastic wrap; flatten to press into disc. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.Bite-Size Empanadas
1. Meanwhile, in nonstick skillet, heat half of the oil over medium-high heat; brown chorizo, stirring and breaking up with a spoon, until no longer pink, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in onion, garlic, salt, cumin, paprika and allspice; fry, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened, about 3 minutes.
2. Reduce heat to medium; stir in potato, wine, olives, raisins and tomato paste. Cook, stirring, until potatoes are tender and most of the liquid has evaporated, about 5 minutes. Let cool. Stir in cilantro.
3. Divide dough in half. On lightly floured surface, roll each piece to 1/8-inch (3 mm) thickness. Using 3-inch (8 cm) round cutter, cut out circles, rerolling scraps and repeating with remaining pastry.
4. Mix remaining egg yolk with 2 tbsp (25 mL) water; lightly brush some over edge of each circle. Mound filling by scant tablespoonfuls in centre of pastry; fold pastry over and into semicircle shape. Press edges with fork tines to seal; use fork to poke vent holes into top of each.
5. Place on greased or parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Brush pastry with some of the remaining egg wash. Bake in preheated 400°F (200°C) oven until golden and flaky, 14 to 16 minutes.