Black Forest Molten Cake
- serves 6
1 cup pitted sour cherries
½ cup sugarCake
8 oz bittersweet chocolate
½ cup butter, plus enough for greasing ramekins
⅔ cup sugar, plus enough for dusting ramekins
3 egg, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla
¼ cup all purpose flour
¼ cup cocoa powder
dash of saltBrandied Cherry Sauce
2 cup sweet cherries, pitted
½ cup sugar
1 cinnamon stick
4 Tbsp brandy
1 ½ Tbsp cornstarch
2 Tbsp cold waterTo Assemble
1. Simmer cherries with 1/2 cup sugar for 30 minutes and allow to cool.Cake
1. Preheat oven to 375 F.
2. Butter 4 ramekins and coat with sugar.
3. Melt chocolate over a pot of simmering water (or in microwave).
4. In a separate bowl cream together butter and 2/3 cup sugar. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Stir in melted chocolate and vanilla.
5. In a separate bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder and salt. Stir flour mixture into chocolate mixture.
6. Spoon batter into ramekins.
7. Place a generous spoonful of cherries in the centre of each ramekin and level chocolate filling to create a flat surface.
8. Bake for 20-22 minutes. The surface of the cakes will lose their shine when done. The batter can be made ahead of time and chilled, but add 10 minutes to the cooking time. Run a butter knife around the edge of the cake to loosen and tip out onto plate.Brandied Cherry Sauce
1. Simmer cherries, sugar and cinnamon for 30 minutes. Stir in brandy.
2. Whisk cornstarch with 2 Tbsp cold water and whisk into cherries. Be certain that cherries are simmering before you remove from heat.
3. Serve sauce warm or chilled.To Assemble
1. Plate individual cakes and serve with cherry sauce.