Blue Corn Mushroom and Cheese Quesadillas
- prep time 30 min
- total time 45 min
- serves 4
2 tablespoons (30 mL) olive oil
1 onion, thinly sliced
8 ounces porcini mushrooms, trimmed and sliced
1 jalapeno or Serrano chile, seeded and minced
A few sprigs of cilantro or epazote
salt and freshly ground pepperBlue Corn Tortillas (Homemade or Store-Bought)
1 cup (250 mL) Masa harina
1 cup (250 mL) harina de maiz azul (blue cornmeal)
½ teaspoon (2 mL) salt
About 1 cup (250 mL) warm waterGarnish
1 cup (250 mL) quesu fresco cheese
salsa for serving (optional)
1. For the Porcinis, heat oil over medium heat in a large, heavy frying pan. Add onions and cook, stirring, until transluscent, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and chile and continue cooking until golden brown, about 5 more minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add cilantro or epazote and set aside.Blue Corn Tortillas (Homemade or Store-Bought)
1. For the blue corn tortillas, mix all ingredients with a wooden spoon in a bowl until dough is formed, about 2 minutes. Let stand, covered tightly with plastic wrap, for 2 minutes.
2. Divide the dough into 12 parts. Roll each part into a ball, keeping the balls you are not using in a plastic bag so that they don't dry out. (If the dough does get too dry, add a little extra water.)
3. Place a ball on a sheet of plastic wrap and cover it with another sheet. Flatten slightly with the palm of your hand, then finish rolling with a rolling pin, working quickly and lightly. Flip the package over and repeat until an approximately 6-inch circle is formed.
4. Peel away the top layer of plastic wrap, flip the package over gently, and peel away the other piece of plastic wrap. Transfer to a flat, hot griddle.
5. Bake on the first side for about 30 seconds. Flip over and bake on the second side for about 30 seconds. Flip once again. Remove from pan and keep warm.Garnish
1. To assemble, spread the cheese on one tortilla. Garnish with the mushrooms mixture and top with another tortilla. Place in a pan, turn the heat to medium-high and press down gently. Cook until the cheese begins to melt. Flip the quesadilla over in the pan, and heat for another minute. Serve with salsa if desired.