Blueberry Greek Old-Fashioned Donuts
- prep time28 min
- total time 33 min
The "Greek" in these donuts comes from Greek yogurt.
1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
1 cup cake flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 pinch kosher salt
½ cup + 1 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp butter
1 whole egg
1 egg yolk
⅔ cup plain Greek yogurt
½ cup frozen blueberries, thawed (keep the juice)
1 ½ L canola oilGlaze
2 cups powdered sugar
¼ cup whole milk
lemon juice, to taste
1 pinch salt
1. Mix all dry ingredients except the sugar with a whisk until homogenous.
2. In a stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar until smooth, then add eggs.
3. Add the yogurt until smooth.
4. Slowly add the dry ingredients, then add the blueberries and juice. DO NOT OVER-MIX! If the mix is too wet, add a bit of flour.
5. Cover and let the dough rest for at least 30 minutes in the fridge.
6. Heat the oil to 350ºF (less and you will get greasy donuts, more you will get burnt donuts) in a deep pan.
7. Roll out the dough on a floured surface, roughly ¾-inch thick. Cut out the donuts into any shape you want.
8. Frop the donuts into the hot oil a few at a time. Pay attention, this next bit is important; let them cook for about 20 seconds just until they float. As soon as they float, flip them over. Once you flip them DO NOT TOUCH THEM! Just let them cook. When they are COMPLETELY DONE on one side, flip them and cook on the other side. Again, DO NOT TOUCH THE DONUTS! Let them cook until done! Pull the donuts out and let them cool on a wire rack.
9. Mix up your glaze and when the donuts are cool to the touch, glaze them.
10. All done! Eat and enjoy.Glaze
1. Mix until emulsified. Brush on cooled donuts.