Braised Duck with Mashed Potatoes and Cheese
- prep time 1 min
- total time 1 min
- serves 4
Ricardo Larrivée Ricardo and Friends
4 duck legs
2 onions, finely chopped
2 clove garlic, coarsely chopped
1 bay leaf
500 mL (2 cups) white wine
2 green onions, chopped
Salt and pepperFor the Mashed Potatoes
5 Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into cubes
5 clove garlic
30 mL (2 tablespoons) butter
125 mL (1/2 cup) milk or 10% cream, approximately
60 g (2 oz) L’Empereur or d’Iberville cheese, rind removed
Salt and pepperFor Assembly
1. With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
2. In a skillet over medium-high heat, brown the duck legs skin side down. Reduce the heat and turn over the legs. Remove excess fat if needed. Add the onions and garlic and cook until browned. Add the carrot, bay leaf and wine. Season with salt and pepper. Cover, transfer to the oven and bake for 1 ½ hour. Uncover and bake for about 1 hour more.
3. Discard the carrot and bay leaf. Degrease the braising liquid. Debone the duck.
4. In a skillet, reduce the cooking liquid until syrupy. Add the duck and adjust the seasoning. Add the green onions. Set aside and keep warm.For the Mashed Potatoes
1. Boil the potatoes and garlic in salted water until the potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Drain.
2. Using a ricer or masher, mash the potatoes. Using a wooden spoon, stir in the butter. Add the cream and cheese. Mix well. Season with salt and pepper.For Assembly
1. With the rack in the upper position, preheat the broiler.
2. Place the duck meat in each of 4 ramekins. Top with mashed potatoes. Place a wedge of cheese on each portion.
3. Broil until the cheese melts and browns lightly. Serve with green beans and Honey-Roasted Carrots.