Brined and Roasted Chicken
- prep time 0 min
- total time 0 min
- serves 4-6
1 3-4 lb chicken
1 gallon water
1 cup salt
1 cup sugar
2 carrots, halved
2 onions, halved
2 stalks celery, halved
fresh ground pepperGravy
1 cup water
2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
splash red wine
1. Measure a gallon of water into a large pot and add the salt and sugar. Immerse the chicken and soak overnight in the refrigerator, 8 to 12 hours.
2. Preheat your oven to 375ºF and turn on your convection fan if you have one.
3. Drain the chicken and pat dry. Lay the carrots, onions and celery in the bottom of a roasting pan, forming an elevated rack for the chicken. Season liberally with fresh ground pepper.
4. Roast until golden brown and delicious. The chicken is cooked when a meat thermometer placed in the thickest part of the meat reads 165°F. This will take about an hour. Rest the chicken before slicing it.Gravy
1. Make a quick gravy out of the pan drippings. Pour the water into a mason jar and add the flour. Shake it until it is well combined. Place the roasting pan with the juices and golden pan bits onto a burner and turn heat to medium high. When it begins to sizzle add the wine and stir to release the brown bits. Pour in the flour and water mixture and whisk until the gravy has formed and thickened.
2. Remove the meat from the chicken, top with pan gravy and share.