- prep time 30 min
- total time 300 min
- serves 12
1 heads garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
20 very thin slices of fresh ginger, peeled
6 shallots, thinly sliced
2 onions, thinly sliced
¼ cup of brown sugar (60 ml)
2 tsp Kosher salt (10 ml)
1 tsp pepper, crushed
1 clove of garlicApple Barbecue Sauce
1 cup apple sauce (250 ml)
1 cup ketchup (250 ml)
½ cup honey (125 ml)
¼ cup molasses (60 ml)
¼ cup soy sauce (60 ml)
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce (15 ml)
Juice of 1 lemon
1 chipotle pepper, in Adobo sauce, chopped
1 onion, peeled and chopped
1 clove of garlic, minced
Salt and pepperBrisket Sandwich
1 7 lb. first-cut brisket
8 onion buns, lightly toasted
Slices of tomatoes to garnish
Lettuce to garnish
Deep-fried onion rings to garnish
1. Heat oven at 200F (100C). On a baking tray covered with parchment paper, put the garlic, ginger, shallots, onions and bake in the oven for 4 hours or until dried. Using a food processor, reduce into powder with brown sugar, salt and pepper. Set aside.
2. Coat the brisket with the spice mixture and keep in the refrigerator overnight to flavor the meat.Apple Barbecue Sauce
1. For the sauce, in a large bowl, mix all the ingredients together.Brisket Sandwich
1. Preheat oven at 350F (150C).
2. Place brisket, fat side up, into a heavy baking pan just large enough to hold it, and pour Apple Barbecue sauce over it. Cover tightly and bake for 4 hours or until fork-tender.
3. Transfer brisket to a cutting board and keep warm.
4. Strain and pour the sauce in a stockpot and let reduce for about 10 minutes on medium high heat until thick. Remove excess fat.
5. Cut the meat with a sharp knife against grain, to desired thickness.
6. Garnish onion buns with the meat, sauce, tomatoes, lettuce and top with deep fried onion rings.
7. Note : You can buy dried onions and garlic from grocery stores instead of preparing it. The apple barbecue sauce is a recipe on its own and very versatile. It can be used as a dip, as a sauce or as a glaze for other meats (chicken, pork, etc.).
We're cooking up a delicious new site!
Check out our new look and stay tuned for ongoing changes across the BETA site.Check out the site