Broken Finger Cookies
- prep time30 min
- total time 47 min
- serves 20
"Fingernails” made from almonds or banana chips add a realistic touch, but aren't necessary if allergy is an issue.
Courtesy of Jennifer Low.
¼ cup unsalted butter, softened
½ cup white sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 ¾ cup all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 Tbsp milk
2 Tbsp red cake-decorating sugar
20 whole blanched almonds OR 20 pieces banana chips
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF.
2. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
3. In bowl, using electric mixer, beat butter until fluffy. Gradually beat in sugar. Beat until mixture is no longer “scratchy” sounding against bowl.
4. Beat in egg, vanilla and salt.
5. In separate bowl, mix together flour and baking powder (tip for measuring flour: stir flour, spoon into measuring cup, then level).
6. Gradually beat flour mixture into butter mixture.
7. Switch to working in flour mixture with hands when dough gets too stiff to beat.
8. Knead into smooth dough. Roll into 3/4-inch thick “ropes”. Break ropes into 3-inch sections. Pat one end smooth. Dip tip of other end of each piece into milk then red sugar.
9. Place on lined baking sheet. Pressing in sides of rope to prevent flattening, insert almond or piece of banana chip into rounded end. Repeat process to make 20 fingers.
10. Bake on middle rack of oven 17 minutes, or until dough is lightly golden.