Brown Butter Bacon Ice Cream
- prep time24 min
- total time 50 min
- serves 3
Candied bacon and ice cream custard, make a crisp and cool little treat. Courtesy of Natasha Case and Freya Estrellar of Coolhause.
5 strips bacon
2 Tbsp light brown sugarIce Cream Custard
3 Tbsp salted butter
¾ cup packed brown sugar
2 ¾ cup half-and-half
5 large egg yolks
2 tsp dark rum or whiskey
¼ tsp vanilla extract
¼ tsp ground cinnamon (optional)
1. To candy the bacon, preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (200 degrees Celsius).
2. Lay the strips of bacon on a baking sheet lined with a silicone mat or aluminum foil, shiny side down.
3. Sprinkle 1-1/2 to 2 teaspoons of brown sugar evenly over each strip of bacon, depending on length.
4. Bake for 12-16 minutes. Midway through baking, flip the bacon strips over and drag them through the dark, syrupy liquid that's collected on the baking sheet. Continue to bake until as dark as mahogany. Remove from oven and cool the strips on a wire rack.
5. Once crisp and cool, chop into little pieces.Ice Cream Custard
1. To make the ice cream custard, melt the butter in a heavy, medium-size saucepan.
2. Stir in the brown sugar and half of the half-and-half. Pour the remaining half-and-half into a bowl set in an ice bath and set a mesh strainer over the top.
3. In a separate bowl, stir together the egg yolks, then gradually add some of the warm brown sugar mixture to them, whisking the yolks constantly as you pour. Pour the mixture back into the saucepan.
4. Cook over low to moderate heat, constantly stirring and scraping the bottom with a heatproof spatula, until the custard thickens enough to coat the spatula.
5. Add liquor, vanilla and cinnamon.
6. Chill the mixture for about 5 hours. Once thoroughly chilled, pour into ice cream maker. Add the bacon bits during the last moment of churning, or stir them in when you remove the ice cream from the machine.