Buckwheat Blinis with Crème Fraiche and Caviar
- serves 24
⅔ cup warm milk
½ tsp honey
1 pkg dry yeast
2 Tbsp melted butter, cooled
½ cup flour, plus
2 Tbsp flour
¼ cup buckwheat flour
1 pinch salt
2 egg, whisked together
vegetable oil, for frying
1 50 g can caviar, preferably SevrugaCreme Fraiche
1 cup 35% cream
juice from half a lemon
¼ cup sour cream
1. Combine milk, honey and yeast in a medium bowl. Stir until blended. Let mixture stand until foamy, about 10 minutes. Stir in cooled butter.
2. In another medium bowl combine flours, salt and baking powder. Make a well in the centre and stir in milk mixture until blended. Without stirring vigorously, blend in whisked eggs just until combined. Cover and let rise at room temperature for about 1½ hours or until doubled in volume.
3. Heat a blini, crepe pan or skillet over medium high heat. Using a paper towel, coat pan with vegetable oil. Pour about 1 tsp. batter in the pan and cook for about 1 minute. The blini should be golden brown. Flip over and brown other side. Repeat with remaining batter.
4. Serve blinis topped with a spoonful of crème fraiche (recipe follows).Creme Fraiche
1. In a small bowl combine the cream, lemon juice and sour cream. Stir well. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand at room temperature for 2 to 3 days or until mixture resembles loose sour cream.