Butternut Squash & Ricotta Filled Crêpes With Maple Crème Fraiche
prep time 20 min
total time 40 min
Be the first to rate this!
These savoury crêpes make a sophisticated appetizer for Autumn entertaining. The luscious filling is simple to make and the tender homemade crêpes are sure to dazzle your guests. The quick version of crème fraiche adds that finishing touch. Courtesy of the Dairy Farmers of Canada.
1. In a large bowl, combine flour, sage, salt and pepper. In a measuring cup or another bowl, whisk together eggs and cream until blended. Gradually whisk into flour mixture until very smooth.
2. Cover and let stand for 30 min or refrigerate for up to 1 day. (Bring to room temperature before cooking.)
3. To cook Crêpes: The batter should be the texture of thin cream. Gradually whisk in about 3 tbsp (45 mL) water to thin as necessary. Heat an 8-inch (20 cm) nonstick skillet or crêpe pan over medium heat until a drop of batter sizzles when dropped in pan. Wipe out pan and brush lightly with melted butter. Pour in a scant 1/4 cup (60 mL) of the batter, swirling the pan while pouring to spread as thinly and evenly as possible. Cook for about 30 sec or until top is no longer shiny and bottom is just golden. Use a heatproof rubber spatula to loosen edges and flip crêpe over. Cook second side for 10 sec or just until golden spots start to form. Slide the cooked crêpe out onto a plate. Repeat with remaining batter, heating and buttering pan between each as necessary.
Maple Crème Fraiche
1. In a bowl, whisk together cream, lemon juice and maple syrup; set aside for about 30 min until slightly thickened. (Refrigerate until using, up to 1 day).
1. In a medium skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add squash, garlic, sage, salt and pepper and sauté for about 8 min or until squash starts to brown. Add 1/2 cup (125 mL) water, cover and boil for about 8 min or until squash is tender and liquid is absorbed.
2. Transfer to a bowl and add ricotta and cream, mashing with a fork until blended. Keep warm.
1. Spread one-eighth of the filling over one half of each of 8 crêpes (reserve any extra crêpes for another use). Fold in half then in half again to make a triangle. Place on a serving plate and drizzle with Maple Crème Fraiche.